I finally got the Kindle and I adore it

News, trends, and the future of publishing
User avatar
Quill
Posts: 1059
Joined: March 17th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: I finally got the Kindle and I adore it

Post by Quill » July 24th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Thanks, Mira,

I actually went to Amazon last night and read about the Kindle device for the first time, and watched a couple video presentations there, and I'm warming up to the idea of reading on one of those. Not sure how one can flip through the book if one wishes to browse ahead or around, like in a non-fiction book, or flip through to find a specific page, but the size and heft of the thing seems like it would be appealing and book-like without being bulky.

With the phone, the photos on your link do help, but it still seems a stretch for me to imagine seeing only a couple paragraphs at a time, like it wouldn't feel like I was reading a book. Luckily I probably won't have to decide on that anytime soon, as I have no cell-phone and don't have plans to buy one.

Overall, though, I am liking the e-book idea more and more. Not sure how Kindle compares with other readers, but it seems pretty cool, and Amazon has one heck of a lot of books to read. In any case, it could be a while since any spare change I make is currently used to buy time to write!

Thanks again.

wetair
Posts: 69
Joined: December 17th, 2009, 9:01 pm
Location: Inside Your Head
Contact:

Re: I finally got the Kindle and I adore it

Post by wetair » July 24th, 2010, 7:01 pm

I've used Stanza to read on my iTouch (it is almost the same as the iphone. just w/o the phone and gps and camera). The smaller number of visible paragraphs take a little getting used to, yeah, but not too long. a couple days, in my case, i think. and the kindle has this odd system of assisnging numbers to the pages, numbers that stay the same regardless of page number, which changes with the font size. and anyway, i can flip through it by entering in whatever number. 3000, 4000, 6000 . . . add a bookmark to where i was at so i can get back to my spot easily.

the other ereader the kindle compares to is the nook from b&n, i think.

User avatar
mmcdonald64
Posts: 99
Joined: March 14th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Contact:

Re: I finally got the Kindle and I adore it

Post by mmcdonald64 » July 28th, 2010, 1:00 pm

I have Kindle envy for all you Kindle owners. ;-) At the moment, it's not in the budget since we are moving in a few weeks and will incur some expenses with that. However, today, I woke up to find my book in the top one hundred on Kindle's Romantic Suspense list. I even took a screen capture just for proof, so when it drops, I can always say I was right under one J.D. Robb book and above another. :-) Maybe I'll sell enough to buy a Kindle by the end of next month. (except my daughter's bday is next month too. D'oh! Probably be spending the check on Barbie Doll stuff.)

Down the well
Posts: 516
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Contact:

Re: I finally got the Kindle and I adore it

Post by Down the well » July 28th, 2010, 3:02 pm

mmcdonald64 wrote:I woke up to find my book in the top one hundred on Kindle's Romantic Suspense list. I even took a screen capture just for proof, so when it drops, I can always say I was right under one J.D. Robb book and above another.
Totally cool!!! I would have done the same thing. Congratulations!!

User avatar
mmcdonald64
Posts: 99
Joined: March 14th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Contact:

Re: I finally got the Kindle and I adore it

Post by mmcdonald64 » July 28th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Down the well wrote:
mmcdonald64 wrote:I woke up to find my book in the top one hundred on Kindle's Romantic Suspense list. I even took a screen capture just for proof, so when it drops, I can always say I was right under one J.D. Robb book and above another.
Totally cool!!! I would have done the same thing. Congratulations!!
Thanks! I'm kind of hyperventilating now (good thing I'm a respiratory therapist and can treat myself if I start getting light-headed! lol) because it actually moved into the top 100 overall in romantic suspense--not just in the Kindle store. And yeah, I took a screen capture of that too. :-D

User avatar
Mira
Posts: 1354
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 9:59 am
Contact:

Re: I finally got the Kindle and I adore it

Post by Mira » July 29th, 2010, 2:49 pm

mmcdonald64 wrote:
Down the well wrote:
mmcdonald64 wrote:I woke up to find my book in the top one hundred on Kindle's Romantic Suspense list. I even took a screen capture just for proof, so when it drops, I can always say I was right under one J.D. Robb book and above another.
Totally cool!!! I would have done the same thing. Congratulations!!
Thanks! I'm kind of hyperventilating now (good thing I'm a respiratory therapist and can treat myself if I start getting light-headed! lol) because it actually moved into the top 100 overall in romantic suspense--not just in the Kindle store. And yeah, I took a screen capture of that too. :-D

That is so wonderful! Major congrats! And now that I have a Kindle on my I-phone, I can look your book up. :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest