What's your take on the B&N Nook?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Madeleine

What's your take on the B&N Nook?

Post by Madeleine » December 22nd, 2009, 10:55 pm

I'm one of those faithful, old-fashioned paper book readers who's committed to keeping the spirit of paper books in the air by never reading an e-book, but my commitment has wavered and I've found that some devilish force has come over me and I'm slightly interested in the Nook.

I don't need any criticism because I'm ladling it over my head, and I don't need any encouragement because I don't want it. ( ;

All the same, I was wondering what your (meaning the other people addicted to Nathan’s blog) take on the Nook is. Compared to the Kindle, how does it stand? I played around with it for a minute in B&N last weekend, and I've checked out the info on the B&N site, but everything you see there, of course, is positive.

I still hope I never buy an e-reader, and now, as a kid, I can't afford it. I do see that I'm not as strong a person as I thought I was. I guess that’s a disappointment I’ll have to live with.

A note to my loves: Paper books, I love you. I don't care if you're killing trees. You're my darlings and I will never abandon you. I might just have some fun with your electronic "cohorts" someday.

-Madeleine

EDIT: Shouldn't this topic belong in All Things Books? Or in some inexistant forum? I just saw more topics like this here...
"A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life." - John Milton

Blog: Worbird

The Lemonites Status:

1st Draft - Done
Out With Betas

casnow

Re: What's your take on the B&N Nook?

Post by casnow » December 23rd, 2009, 1:34 pm

The nook looks slick, and it has a more open format than the Kindle - the nook is what the Kindle should have been on version 2 (but amazon failed). I personally use a sony eReader b/c I live in a country that is unsupported by 3G and therefore don't need those features.

All of them perform the same basic task, which is simulate a book. There won't be a step change until someone makes one equivalent to Sony's for $99. That is when the books will hit the net in a big way.

SmurfHead

Post by SmurfHead » December 23rd, 2009, 2:55 pm

The Nook does look pretty slick, but I don't know that I could get past that LCD screen on the bottom. I assume it turns off while you're reading, which would probably help, but the screen seems so distracting. I'm a Kindle owner, though, so I'm sure I've got some preconceived notions.

I think B&N is really capitalizing on their retail presence with the Nook, which is cool. I believe you can sample whole books on the Nook while at a B&N. It's a smart idea, and much cooler than the small sample you get as a Kindle reader. Plus the accessories for the Nook are really pretty--lots of fun designs to choose from, which would add more personality to the gadget.

I love my Kindle, I really do. But if I were just buying an e-reader now, I'd seriously consider Nooking it.

Hmm... Nooking up?

Whatever, you know what I mean.
"Mind-bottling, isn't it? ...You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?"

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » December 23rd, 2009, 9:25 pm

Haha, I like "Nooking it." That sounds tough!

I did see that the LCD screen on the bottom turns off. The only thing I had trouble with when checking it out was figuring out how everything worked, but that just takes time.

Thanks for your opinions. I don't live in the country, so the 3G business is good with me!

Does anyone know what the pros and cons of Kindles are compared to the Nook's?

-Madeleine
"A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life." - John Milton

Blog: Worbird

The Lemonites Status:

1st Draft - Done
Out With Betas

SmurfHead

Post by SmurfHead » December 23rd, 2009, 10:04 pm

I found this on BusinessWeek.com:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 988511.htm

There's a link to a fuller review, but it's a nice, quick run-down of the two devices. Looks like they both have their respective flaws, though I have to give B&N props for letting users lend their ebooks out to other Nook users.
"Mind-bottling, isn't it? ...You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?"