Print on Demand Service - any opinions?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
fantastika

Print on Demand Service - any opinions?

Post by fantastika » January 22nd, 2020, 12:52 am

I have more of less finished my biography of a well-known basketball player, and have received phone calls from IUniverse and DogEar Publishing, which offer to print and place your book for availability on Amazon, B&N,, make a Kindle version, etc.

However, both of these companies have numerous (50-100) complaints on the BBB, only some are resolved. The complaints are mostly about not getting their payments or year-late payments...

Anyone had any experience with these companies?

Or is it better to do all this myself? I have the cover design (front and back) complete, the photos are properly inserted in the .doc file (I am actually writing in .odt format) and all promotional materials written, and have about ten reviews.

These companies don't actually market your book, they just make it available if someone sees it and wants it. Having someone see it is up to you, I guess.

The problems described in the complaints come from the fact that these companies are the "middllemen" in your dealings with the public buyers. They receive the money from Amazon, then they deduct their printing cost and commission, and you get the rest. The complaints are mostly about authors not getting their payments.

Any comments? Alternative strategeries?(sic) Thanks!