Advice for a newbie to publishing?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Regan Leigh

Advice for a newbie to publishing?

Post by Regan Leigh » June 8th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Hello, all! :)

I've decided to bite the bullet and try submitting some of my shorts and flashes to lit magazines/journals.

Any advice? Good places to start? Places or things to avoid?

See? My questions aren't very specific because I'm very green to all this. I don't even know what questions I should be asking. :D I'm editing two books at the moment, but since I tend to write a new flash each week, I figured I might as well try to do something with them. ;)

r louis scott

Re: Advice for a newbie to publishing?

Post by r louis scott » June 8th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Regan, go to duotrope.com

They will list all sorts of periodicals, both print and electronic, and allow you to sort through them using different parameters (story length, genre, pay scales etc.). I have used the site several times but haven't had much luck yet, likely due to my genre and desire to be printed rather than sent out to readers in a bunch of ones and zeros. I think it would be a great place for you to start and it will at the very least give you some idea of what is out there and who is buying what.

Good luck!

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » June 8th, 2010, 8:17 pm

r louis scott wrote:Regan, go to duotrope.com

They will list all sorts of periodicals, both print and electronic, and allow you to sort through them using different parameters (story length, genre, pay scales etc.). I have used the site several times but haven't had much luck yet, likely due to my genre and desire to be printed rather than sent out to readers in a bunch of ones and zeros. I think it would be a great place for you to start and it will at the very least give you some idea of what is out there and who is buying what.

Good luck!

That's exactly where I've been looking, thank you. :D I set up an acct last night. I'm glad to hear another recommendation for it.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » June 8th, 2010, 8:25 pm

I hope you find some good leads!

I looked for some places to place some historical fiction shorts, but there isn't a terribly large market I'm afraid.

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » June 10th, 2010, 2:29 am

r louis scott wrote:I hope you find some good leads!

I looked for some places to place some historical fiction shorts, but there isn't a terribly large market I'm afraid.
Mine are more general literary stuff, with some YA and Horror mixed in at times. :D A little diverse. lol

I decided to start with the top dogs and then work my way down. I picked a flash to submit and put it up in the SYW on another forum. (To my knowledge, this forum's SYW can be accessed without signing in and I worry about that lack of password related to publishing later. Just being careful.)

Anyway, I put it up for a crit and have had my @ss handed to me a bit, but that's what it's for. :) Now to edit again.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » June 10th, 2010, 12:05 pm

[quote="Regan Leigh Mine are more general literary stuff, with some YA and Horror mixed in at times. :D A little diverse. lol

[/quote]

The SF and Mystery writers really seem to have a lot of markets, but even my alternate timeline story probably isn't "out there" far enough for them. I had hoped to have a few short story credits before I was ready to start querying my novel but I don't think that's going to happen.

Good luck with your submissions.

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » June 11th, 2010, 8:41 pm

r louis scott wrote:[quote="Regan Leigh Mine are more general literary stuff, with some YA and Horror mixed in at times. :D A little diverse. lol
The SF and Mystery writers really seem to have a lot of markets, but even my alternate timeline story probably isn't "out there" far enough for them. I had hoped to have a few short story credits before I was ready to start querying my novel but I don't think that's going to happen.

Good luck with your submissions.[/quote]

Thank you. :) And I hope you have better luck in the future. That's awful. :( Yeah, I don't have a SF bone in my body. :)

Meghan

Post by Meghan » July 22nd, 2010, 2:41 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering if there are any different types of publishers other than Traditional, Self and Vanity. Also, what is the difference between a vanity publisher and a self-publisher?

Thanks!