Fan Fiction

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Question4You

Fan Fiction

Post by Question4You » May 18th, 2010, 9:33 pm

I recently discovered this blog, and I think it's an amazing source of information. I have a question though. I'm working on a book that I hope to get published. The only experience I have writing stories is through fan fiction. I've been doing it for a year and have won awards for it. I recently heard though that it's taboo to even mention that you're associated with fan fiction if you're trying to get published. Is there any truth to that? Wouldn't agents be happy to see some kind of writing experience? Should I not even mention that I write it when I get ready to send out query letters? I don't have any other credentials. Any information you can give me on this topic would be appreciated.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Re: Fan Fiction

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » May 18th, 2010, 11:48 pm

You don't really need credentials. What really matters is great writing. If you aren't published, don't worry. You don't need to pad the bio just for the sake of it. It all comes down to your writing in the end, the piece you're submitting. Nail your query and provide a great book. That's it.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

RLS

Post by RLS » June 2nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

Two questions.
What's fan fiction?
I forgot my other question.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » June 3rd, 2010, 12:56 am

Two answers. Fan fiction is fiction written by fans. I forgot the other answer.

But, seriously, fan fiction is amateur (but not necessarily amateurish) fiction written by fans of a movie or TV series or game, using characters and situations in those works without authorization from the holders of the rights. It is variously discouraged, tolerated, or even encouraged by the rights holders, and can be of a high standard.

Josin

Post by Josin » June 3rd, 2010, 7:40 am

It didn't hurt Cassandra Clare.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 3rd, 2010, 8:20 am

Author Sarah Rees Brennan has a great post about both having fan fiction written about your work and about having been a fan fiction writer. It's a worthy read on both counts.

http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/165135.html#cutid1
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » June 8th, 2010, 8:24 pm

My critique partner is proud to write fan fiction. Her inspiration? Alexander Dumas! Where he left off she took over, and believe me, it's nothing like Star Trek!

Anobile1

Post by Anobile1 » June 12th, 2010, 6:08 am

For anyone who is interested, the author of the TEMERAIRE series, Naomi Novik, is entirely supportive of fan fiction. She even writes fan fiction of her own books/characters, and I think she writes fan fiction in other fandoms too. She's also been part of forming a pro-fan-rights organization called the Organization for Transformative Works, or OTW.

I think fan fiction is becoming more widely accepted and more widely hated at the same time. I've dabbled in it a little myself, but I prefer writing about my own characters. I'll probably be like Naomi and write fan fiction about my own books.
My Blog: http://amorenanobile.blogspot.com/ (Most recent post: Inspiration Patterns and an Old Friend)

JABrown

Post by JABrown » June 24th, 2010, 4:39 am

I think fan fiction can be a good learning curve as a writer, because it allows you to get your writing out there in a community that is maybe slightly less critical than a real critiquing group.

I have written some star trek and star wars fan fiction, and the input I have received and friends I have made have been great. I've let my fan fiction writing drop off recently as I worked more on my own stories and characters, but I go back from time to time just for the thrill of being able to share a piece of writing immediately with people who are in to the same things as I am.

However, going back to the initial question, I wouldn't use my fan fiction as proof that I could write. My own writing should stand on its own, and I doubt very many agents/publishers would see me writing Star Trek as a reason to take me on as a client.