7-Figure Deal for YA author? - Link

News, trends, and the future of publishing
crazywritergirl

Re: 7-Figure Deal for Debut YA author? - Link

Post by crazywritergirl » December 22nd, 2009, 2:03 pm

Where I would be astounded to be offered such a huge deal, if I was a new author I'd be pretty freaked by it. I'm a fan of the slow build. No matter what, it's great to see such enthusiasm for the genre, especially for those of us who swim in that pond.

Bron

Post by Bron » December 22nd, 2009, 6:07 pm

If I got this kind of deal, I'd be singing from the rooftops. Yes, it comes with a lot of pressure and expectation. But it also means I could quit my job and focus on writing full-time. And if the publisher has invested that much money in you, they're going to want to make sure they get a return, and I imagine would throw marketing dollars, etc. at you. If you get a small advance, there's not that pressure on them because if your book doesn't earn out, it won't cost them too much. A seven-figure advance not earning out is a big problem for the publisher as well as you.

Holly

Post by Holly » December 23rd, 2009, 7:19 am

SmurfHead wrote:What the what?

http://www.agentsavant.com/as/index.cfm ... A%20Author

I'm kind of speechless. Not too surprised to see Jodi Reamer (Aprilynne Pike's and Stephenie Meyer's agent) on this, but still... wowza. Seven figures? I'm in awe.
Let's hope the writing is better than the Twilight saga.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » December 25th, 2009, 8:20 pm

I just clicked on that link and found a comment further down from an acquaintance of Ally's.

She wasn't a debut novelist - in fact, she was offered that deal for her sixth novel.

Oh well. Still an awesome feat! Congrats to her!

shadow

Re: 7-Figure Deal for YA author? - Link

Post by shadow » December 27th, 2009, 9:50 am

Jeeze. I was so clueless when I first answered this question lol. Isn't 7 figures 7k?? Because I have heard of better.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 27th, 2009, 11:32 am

I don't really think pressure would get to me as far as deadlines, I'm pretty good about those. But maybe about coming up with something for a brilliant follow up. I keep a notebook full of all the ideas I have so that I can continue writing as soon as I finish a project.

CV

Krista G.

Post by Krista G. » January 10th, 2010, 1:44 am

Jaime wrote:I just clicked on that link and found a comment further down from an acquaintance of Ally's.

She wasn't a debut novelist - in fact, she was offered that deal for her sixth novel.

Oh well. Still an awesome feat! Congrats to her!
I realize I'm coming a little late to the party on this one, but I thought I'd throw a few thoughts in. This IS Ally Condie's sixth book, but none of the others were published nationally or required an agent to sell (both of her previous publishers fall under the same parent company and accept unsolicited manuscripts - I know, because I've had contact with them before). So it is her national, agented debut. And what a debut it is:)

For anyone interested, Ms. Condie's website is http://www.allysoncondie.com. And here's to all the rest of us getting 7-figure book deals sometime in our futures...
Author of THE REGENERATED MAN (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, Winter 2015)
Represented by Kate Schafer Testerman of kt literary
www.motherwrite.blogspot.com

lmjackson

Post by lmjackson » January 18th, 2010, 11:07 am

shadow wrote:Jeeze. I was so clueless when I first answered this question lol. Isn't 7 figures 7k?? Because I have heard of better.
7 figures means 7 number places. So basically it's at least a $1,000,000 deal.

I hope the book lives up to such high expectations as it has now. Either way, congrats to her!
Junior student studying at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Loves reading, writing, photography, dance, and long walks on the beach :P