Research on e-readers for school. Could use some input!

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Madeleine

Research on e-readers for school. Could use some input!

Post by Madeleine » April 30th, 2010, 9:53 pm

My language arts teacher read my blog and saw that I'm pretty much doing nothing this month (taking a break after the first draft), consequently, she gave me the task of reporting back to her on Monday with every bit of news I could scavenge about three e-readers: the Nook, the Kindle, and the iPad (which does other things as well, of course, but we're talking reading here).

So... I'm coming to you. I've never thought much about buying an e-reader, so the info I have is pretty basic. I need the help of people who've actually kept up with some of the news. So, please, bombard me with information!

I previously asked a bit about the Nook, here, but I need a bit more information. Help would be appreciated!

-Madeleine
"A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life." - John Milton

Blog: Worbird

The Lemonites Status:

1st Draft - Done
Out With Betas

gonzo2802

Re: Research on e-readers for school. Could use some input!

Post by gonzo2802 » May 6th, 2010, 5:32 pm

I just bought myself a Nook last night, so I might be able to help -- or at least give you my take on things.

What sort of info are you looking for?

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » May 6th, 2010, 7:25 pm

Anything really. How fast does it turn on? How quickly do the pages turn? How easy is it to adjust settings and "maneuver"? Are you satisfied?

Thanks!

-Madeleine

P.S. I think the Nooks are cooler than the Kindles. ;D
"A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life." - John Milton

The Lemonites Status:

1st Draft - Done
Out With Betas

JFBookman

Post by JFBookman » May 7th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Book design and production for publishers and self-publishers
Fun and informative articles about publishing on my blog:
http://www.TheBookDesigner.com

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » May 7th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Thanks!

The Lemonites Status:

1st Draft - Done
Out With Betas

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » May 7th, 2010, 10:50 pm

As far as my Nook goes:

-- The only drawback to it, IMO, is that it takes a full minute to turn on (I'm impatient) ... after that it's super fast.

-- It only takes 1-2 seconds for the page to turn (no more time than it'd take me to turn a page in a real book)

-- For the most part the touch screen options are easy to understand & navigate, everything from buying/downloading a story to changing my account settings, etc.

-- I love that I can change the font/size any time I want, even in the middle of reading a particular story. So if I'm having a "tired eye day" I can make the font bigger, and go back to something smaller later on.

-- I also am very happy with how quickly books download to the device. Within two minutes of confirming I want to purchase the title, I have the full document loaded onto my Nook. (Drawback to that - I'm probably spending way more money than I should downloading books)

-- One of the perks that comes with the Nook that I think is super cool, if you visit one of the Barnes & Noble stores you can read ANY title they sell for free, while you're in the store. It's a great tool for people where money is tight and they prefer to read a couple chapters to make sure they really enjoy the story before buying it.

I'm sure there is a lot more I'm forgetting, but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head.

I have to admit. Several months ago, I didn't think I'd ever be a person who would buy an e-reader ... but in the short time I've had it I have fallen head over heels in love with my Nook!

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » May 7th, 2010, 11:21 pm

I just wrote a grant to get a few iPads for our grade level because it does so much more than just be an e-reader. I don't have any of the above, but I figured being multifunctional would be nice in the classroom.