Createspace for POD???

News, trends, and the future of publishing
a-scribe28

Createspace for POD???

Post by a-scribe28 » September 27th, 2014, 1:53 pm

I'm a first time author hard at work on my first novel, and was thinking of choosing Createspace as my publish on demand option, then later using Bookbaby for an ebook version. I was wondering if CS has a great distribution reach globally, and if the author gets more than simply breaking even on receiving payment? I do realize their are printing and shipping costs in POD, but shouldn't the author enjoy getting paid more for each unit sold without printing and shipping costs weighing them down, and forced to go to ebook only for selling all their novels to see a healthy return in funds? so my question is, is CS a good option for a first time author as myself who seeks, global distribution reach, not costly to publish with editing, cover design costs ect., and will I enjoy a nice return if my book hits it big using Createspace?

polymath

Re: Createspace for POD???

Post by polymath » September 27th, 2014, 3:47 pm

CreateSpace is one of three economical print book manufacturers and online distributors: Lulu and Xlibris the other two, each with advantages and disadavantges that weigh decisions.

Each is sales driven as regards writer revenue and manufacturer revenue, similar cost, profit, and revenue metrics more or less. They manufacture and distribute books, independently and through online booksellers. Each offers global reach distribution package options. Format standards for international distribution limits options, paper type, cover design and type, typeface, and page dimensions.

The fact is they want revenue from their efforts as much as writers. Unit costs and revenues are predicated upon self-published print-on-demand, one-at-a-time production. Each unit must be individually produced, even if a production run manufactures several dozen at once for distribution to a local region. Order fulfillment centers produce copies for their distribution regions, other centers produce copies for their regions.

A self-publisher at any POD company sets the "royalty" revenue portion she or he wants, though each limits the portion based on marketplace precedents. A hundred-page book retail priced at $50.00 will not wash, the production cost only about $3.00, producer markup $5.00, "royalty" $42.00, for example, will not wash in most situations.

Distribution packages cost a self-publisher free for standard distribution, or about $100.00 for expanded distribution, though each offers free expanded distribution options for company promotions.

Other self-publisher cost considerations include, ISBN assignment, required for distribution packages, free if a company assigned number used, about $100.00 if a single, personal number assignment used, about $25.00 per ISBN if a personal block of ten purchased through R.R.Bowker, and copyright registration and mandatory deposit copy fees, handling, and postage.

POD is a professional business practice; manufacturing costs are part of the business for POD companies and for self-publisher considerations. However, shipping costs are borne by consumers, not POD publishers nor self-publsihers, except for mandatory review copy delivery.

A self-published writer is entitled to all the revenue share her or his product generates, though not at the expense of a business's revenue loss. A healthy revenue per unit self-published print copy produced and globally offered for distribution matches production expense. For example, a two-hundred-fifty page novel, color cover, all black interior, 6" by 9" trade paperback, retail priced at $18.00 should list a standard "royalty" portion of about $9.00. Though $15.00 is a typical cover list price, and online retailers discount to about $12.00.

Note that volume and discount sales reduce the standard revenue by twenty, forty, or sixty percent, dependent upon per-production-run count and standard discount rates. Of course, the break-even point comes after covering self-publisher expenses, distribution package, ISBN assignment, and copyright registration costs.

If self-publication were easy and free, everyone would self-publish. As circumstances are now, many millions do. The sheer quantity of self-published prose and nonfiction overwhelms consumer choices, so the composition product's merits matter most of all.
Last edited by polymath on September 28th, 2014, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spread the love of written word.

a-scribe28

Re: Createspace for POD???

Post by a-scribe28 » September 28th, 2014, 8:50 am

Thank you much for the usefull information.