A business name with "publishing" or "publisher" What is the

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Yemil

A business name with "publishing" or "publisher" What is the

Post by Yemil » August 4th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I am trying to come up with a name for my "publishing/publisher" business before I apply for my ISBN numbers.Alas it seems to me that the two seem to be interchangeable as book companies exist that seem to use one or the other or even neither without any logical reason.Upon examination it just seems so arbitrary or am I just being really simple.

I am sure there must be a definite reason for their choice but it does not seem as obvious as it once did. Basically I thought that a "publishing" company would be the "publisher" of an authors book but when it comes to a business name that does not seem to compute.
Any advice would be appreciated as once I choose my business name I might be stuck with it.

polymath

Re: A business name with "publishing" or "publisher" What is the

Post by polymath » August 9th, 2014, 5:12 pm

"Publishing" usually signals a firm, a company, a work group of editors and office staff, often a place name.

Zanadu Publishing

"Publisher" usually signals a named person or persons who are the owners and chief executives, often a person's surname or full name, etc.

Lerue Publisher; Makeready and Sons Publisher J. B. Bullion Publisher

Not to spoil the choice and make it harder, "Press" is both more common and identifiable, though a publisher has no printing press operation. "Press" is more classy and traditional.

Wheel Press; Legend Press; Hanca Manca and Attaticka Press; etc.

The prime consideration in this Digital Age should be whether the publication name is available for a web site domain, and if the name is catchy and memorable and useful as a dot com. FishworknetPress.com for example.
Spread the love of written word.