Keep Publisher or Self-Publish?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
longknife

Keep Publisher or Self-Publish?

Post by longknife » December 12th, 2013, 8:06 pm

What would you do?

I have a publisher who has released two of my three historical novels – and will accept the 4th as soon as I've finished it.

The contract calls for 15% royalties on paperback sales and 40% on e-book. As part of the contract, they provide a cover, edit the manuscript, and publish it on their site, as well as Amazon.com, Smashwords, and other websites. Their web page says:

“We naturally require all Bluewood authors to actively market and promote their book(s), and we go the extra mile to help them become successful sellers. “

In other words, they don't prepare press releases – unless pushed and then provide them in pdf. format – nor send them out to media contacts, and do not have or seek reviewers for the work.

In other words, other than providing a “professional” name as publisher, they do little that I cannot do myself!

So far, the sales suck basically because nobody knows about the novels or has any idea of whether or not they're any good.

My question is this: I have another historical novel I feel has the nugget of great success as it's about a historical figure of heroic proportions. He was a soldier during the Spanish rule of Mexico and one almost no Mexicans know of. He rose from almost nothing to become governor of California, in spite of his place in society and then, when removed from that position for unfair reasons, continued to do his duty, look out for those under his supervision, and generally display characteristics any one would be proud of. With the right marketing, even in English, I think this could be a most successful work in Mexico and among the Mexican-American community.

Should I submit this to my current publisher? Or seek another publisher for it? Or self-publish it?

And, one more question – how do YOU go about getting reviews for your works? I have a massive list of book reviewers, both bloggers and media outlets. Yet, none I've contacted have responded with a request to review either of the two published works.

Would anyone here like to read and review one or both of them?

Thanks for your responses.
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

hesperus_lux

Re: Keep Publisher or Self-Publish?

Post by hesperus_lux » February 16th, 2014, 8:30 pm

A decision like this is one you have to make yourself. If you are excited about taking a hand in your own destiny then self-publish. Self-publishing the right way takes a good deal of dedication and some resourcefulness but it isn't impossible. I would do some research on online marketing, writing sales copy, website management (especially seo stuff). I would start thinking of ways to leverage social media, forums, bookmarking sites, online interest groups, etc.

As far as getting your book reviewed, I am not too sure. There are places that will review it if you pay them but I am surprised that you haven't been able to get a blogger interested. I would keep at the bloggers. Also, don't forget about the customer reviews that reside right at the point of sale (very important when self-publishing). If you do self-publish have some of your friends write some customer reviews for you (like the ones on amazon.com).

These are just a couple of ideas. If you really want to do this then nothing can get in your way if you are willing to research, and put in the work hours.

-Rick
“Nothing is exactly as it seems, nor is it otherwise.”
- Alan Watts

hesperus_lux

Post by hesperus_lux » February 16th, 2014, 8:41 pm

A follow up to my last post. I just saw this on another forum, you may want to give it a look.
http://thebookmarketingnetwork.com/foru ... ange-offer
“Nothing is exactly as it seems, nor is it otherwise.”
- Alan Watts

johnp85

Post by johnp85 » February 18th, 2014, 10:26 am

No doubt self publishing is the way forward. hardly any books make it to the top with the traditional publishers.

I