What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Down the well

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Down the well » February 1st, 2011, 1:41 pm

KatieT wrote: I am about 25 pages in on "Water for Elephants" and I love it already! I don't know why it took me so long to pick up this book. Sara has a great narrative voice!
Love that book. :)

I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451 for the first time. Yes, I'm lame. I could really see, in the context of the 1950's, how the author came up with the world he did. I wonder how differently it would be written today, with our ipods, ipads, kindles, the internet, and all the other electronic stuff vying for our face-to-face people time. I also thought the Coda included at the end was fabulous -- especially given the recent changes made to Huckleberry Finn.

Up next: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » February 1st, 2011, 3:03 pm

Down the well wrote:Up next: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
I love that book! My sister got me the miniseries for Christmas. Pretty cool, but I haven't had a chance to watch all of it yet (yeah, I'm terrible).

Cookie

Post by Cookie » February 3rd, 2011, 4:55 pm

I just finished Anna and the French Kiss. Up next, I think either Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta or Memoirs of a Geisha.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » February 16th, 2011, 3:38 pm

I just read the graphic novel series of Scott Pilgrim that the movie was adapted from, because I was curious. It's better than the movie. I also needed a break from the train wreck that is 'Red Riding Hood', because I want to see that movie, and wanted to read the book first.

I hope it gets better in Part Two, because if it continues as it is, I'm going to fling it.

The POV changes so much I'm dizzy. How does the main character know what other people are feeling\thinking? She's describing things in lurid detail one minute, and the next, DEAR GOD it's another Peter flashback. Okay. We know you were childhood friends and he left in a hurry.

GET OVER IT.

How did this get published again?

It's got a good story and some parts of it are amazingly well written. But if I have to plow through the rest of it with a brow beating tenacity, I just don't know if I can do it.

I have a stack of other books to read, I might just throw this one aside and read it after seeing the movie.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » February 16th, 2011, 3:50 pm

I'm reading "Thanks, But This Isn't For Us: A (Sort of) Compassionate Guide to Why Your Writing Is Being Rejected" by Jessica Page Morrell.

RachelHowzell

Post by RachelHowzell » February 18th, 2011, 5:07 pm

The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin. And I think I'll stay in that mode and move to Rosemary's Baby and then The Stepford Wives.
Author of The View from Here - available for 99 cents at Amazon.

Please visit me at http://www.writinginmycar.blogspot.com.

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » February 19th, 2011, 3:05 pm

I tried reading Girl With the Dragon Tattoo as my boyfriend's mother liked it and it has such high reviews, but something about the writing style made me twitch. So while the plot sounded interesting, I didn't even get past the first page. So instead I started reading Allison Brennan's Original Sin last night around 11 or 12. At 5 am with nearly half of the book read I finally made myself put it down and get some sleep. The story just drew me in and I kept saying "just one more chapter". :-P Hope the rest of the series keeps up the same energy.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » February 19th, 2011, 3:47 pm

I agree about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The style was too journalistic for my taste.

I had some traveling to do this week and picked up Tinkers by Paul Harding to read on the plane. Wow. Now that was some beautiful writing.

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » February 19th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Finally finishing Miss Morissa and then on to Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring and rereading Good Omens.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » February 21st, 2011, 9:34 am

Tithe by Holly Black and almost done with Memoirs of a Geisha.

vasilisa

Post by vasilisa » March 18th, 2011, 1:25 pm

The Countess (about Elizabeth Bathory) and rereading World w/o End.

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » March 18th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Thief of Time, still Fellowship of the Ring and King Richard II (Shakespeare will be the death of me).

Cookie

Post by Cookie » March 18th, 2011, 4:23 pm

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff.

Netti

Post by Netti » March 18th, 2011, 9:34 pm

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
"It's kind of shocking to hear Toby called a babe; sort of like calling God a studmuffin."
- Margaret Atwood, Year of the Flood

http://myscientificattempt.blogspot.com/

abc

Post by abc » March 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Finally reading Uglies by Scott Westerfield as well as The Boneshaker by Kate Milford and Trapped by Michael Northrup. Just finished The Big Crunch by Pete Hautman, which I enjoyed. YA all the way, lately.