What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
rainbowsheeps

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by rainbowsheeps » April 25th, 2010, 12:10 am

Extremely Loud, and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Also: The Indispensable Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 26th, 2010, 9:15 am

The Road of the Dead by Kevin Brooks

It is a VERY British book, but so great. I started reading it last night before I went to bed and ended up plowing through 250 pages by 12:30am. It's a mystery, a thriller, with a touch of supernatural fantasy, and borders just this side of a pulp noir. I'm really loving it.

Funny enough, I purchased it on Friday at a used books store. It had a cover and a title that just kind of jumped out at me, and without thinking about it I bought it. I've never seen it before, or heard anyone talk about it, or read any bloggers reading it. Over the course of the weekend I stumbled across a blog I'd never read before that mentioned it, and I found the paperback version on the shelf of my local Barnes & Noble I never go into but just happened to receive a gift card for this week. It was an alignment of the cosmos, I think, that made me sit down with it last night to start reading. Otherwise it could have gone into my pile of "to be read" and never emerged again.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Dead-Fiction ... 597&sr=8-1
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

mojo25

Post by mojo25 » April 28th, 2010, 7:23 pm

I am reading THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafon--it's an international bestseller but I'd never heard of it. A friend insisted I read it--it's good...set in Spain after WW11, well written, mysterious, with a little magical realism or something like that going on--usu. can't stand this kind of book, but it's growing on me...and it's about books and bookstores etc.

I started WONDER BOYS by Michael Chabon--one of my "gap" books and someone mentioned it here as an essential book for writers, but I put it down after the dog was shot....just couldn't get into it.

Scott

Post by Scott » April 29th, 2010, 8:49 am

Put down Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (had an urge to ingest an entire story in my lifetime) and picked up Sarah Langan's The Keeper. I've read The Missing, and discovered a poetic sensibility that I can really relate to in my own work. Something about her writing gives me technicolor nightmares without her ever having to get into graphic or horrifying detail. She gets under your skin so deftly, it's marvelous.

ganstream1

Post by ganstream1 » April 29th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Artemis Fowl (never read it heard it's good).

Next will be Hunger Game book 1 n 2, then The Magician and last will be Drood.
Read my blog novel at: Aku-Stories

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ » May 2nd, 2010, 8:19 pm

Just finished Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall. Don't know why I'm so fascinated with the FLDS practice of plural marriages, but this is the 3rd book I've read about it (Under the Banner of Heaven & Escape were the first 2) and each one illuminates some fresh aspect of the practice.

addie

Post by addie » May 3rd, 2010, 1:40 pm

I might be late on the trend, but I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and absolutely love it!
~an aspiring writer and archaeologist

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 4th, 2010, 12:58 pm

addie wrote:I might be late on the trend, but I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and absolutely love it!
Addie, if you liked Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, go to Youtube and search for Elizabeth Gilbert TED Event. The video is about 17 minutes long where Elizabeth Gilbert talks about the madness associated with creative people, the muse, the pressure of writing a book after a best seller, and her Big Idea for other writers and creative artists. It's a really fantastic lecture that I have recommended to all of my writing friends and creative friends alike. She's really wonderful.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Ermo

Post by Ermo » May 4th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibson.

Quinnykins

Post by Quinnykins » May 5th, 2010, 10:40 am

I've recently picked up two new books (I have a few I have still to read that were recommended to me by a friend in America).

I bought them while I was killing time in Waterstones. It was before a weekly meeting of writers local to Cork in a café bar in the city. So while I was waiting for good friend to turn up I thought I would read the first chapter of each book. I picked up the first one and struggled through. There were a few red flags. Firstly the author felt the need to list the characters in the book and little blurbs about them. Then list and describe the scenes. I panicked. I thought I'd picked up a script by mistake! Don't get me wrong I love theatre, but I was in the market for a book! Then the third strike was the fact the author herself had decided to tell me her motivation for writing the book, why she loved the settings and the characters and while she felt this was her best work. I read the first chapter and was so thoroughly unimpressed by the long winding sentences and the acres of unneeded punctuation, the confusing dialogue and unwanted description. I have actually forgotten the author and the book. But it sits among the other half read titles at home.

The second book is actually book one of The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. An author my aunt has been trying to get me to read for a long time. I'm loving it so far, the narrative is so refreshingly different from other fantasy I've read!
Si post fata venit gloria non propero.
~*~
Revenge is a dish best served in slices.

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 5th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Looking for Alaska... it's hilarious.

bigheadx

Post by bigheadx » May 6th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Finishing up Raymond Chandler's "The Simple Art of Murder" collection of short stories/novellas. James W. Hall's "Off the Chart" is in the on-deck circle.

Quill

Post by Quill » May 6th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Nothing! I have a fabulous pile of books by my bed but work is tuckering me out so that I just fall asleep the minute I hit the sheets.

In audio book, though, I am enjoying "The Lovely Bones" (well written and well read) although I find the head hopping that the main character does a little unnerving. I guess when you're in Heaven, you not only get to watch people go about their daily activities, you are privy to their thoughts and feelings, too. Didn't know that!

SarahEMC2

Post by SarahEMC2 » May 6th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Geek Love. It's wonderful! Difficult, complicated, and wonderful!

marccolbourne

Post by marccolbourne » May 12th, 2010, 11:24 am

I am on a bit of a Margaret Atwood kick right now. I have finished The Year of the Flood and The Robber Bride. I am now about to start Cats Eye.

I am loving her writing...I can't believe I avoided her (for reasons unknown) for so long.

Marc