Guilty Pleasure Books

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
The44

Guilty Pleasure Books

Post by The44 » September 5th, 2012, 4:17 pm

So, I like several books considered bad in literary circles, for various reasons. The most prominent example is the Inheritance Cycle books by Christopher Paolini. People hate on those books for several reasons, among them a overly expository writing style and stealing ideas from both Tolkien and Star wars. The sad thing is, I agree with those reasons but still love the books. I consider them guilty pleasure books because I know they have serious flaws, but love them anyway.

So, anyway, long winded post to say this. 1. Do you agree with my classification of the Inheritance Cycle as guilty pleasure and 2. What are your guilty pleasure books and why?

P.S. Sorry if someone already has a forum for this.

Mike
Some things are never right.

dios4vida

Re: Guilty Pleasure Books

Post by dios4vida » September 10th, 2012, 2:09 pm

I wouldn't say guilty pleasure has to be something that is generally ill-received. Guilty pleasure is anything you're embarrassed to admit you enjoy, for any given reason. So yeah, the Inheritance Cycle would qualify there, in my opinion.

My guilty pleasure is the In Death series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts). They're out of my normal genre, have a lot sex in them (often too much), but I still enjoy one every now and then.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Gypson

Post by Gypson » September 19th, 2012, 3:06 pm

My guilty pleasure would be the Shojo Beat magazines I got in high school and have kept ever since. Full of girly manga with teenage drama, I never read them in public. These mags are best devoured in privacy, preferably with a side of hot chocolate. It's as close to chick-lit/chick-flicks as I ever get.

OP: I really am not a fan of Paolini's books, but I don't see anything wrong with you enjoying them. Not everything we enjoy reading has to be of literary genius. (P.S. Have you read Swankivy's Inheritance essays?)

The44

Post by The44 » September 20th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Yes, I have read her essays. I found them to be the most coherent and logical criticism of the books out there, however, I still like the books. Sadly.

Shipple

Post by Shipple » October 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm

This post reminded me I just got a Jeaniene Frost book out of the library. I think I'll go read it now. ;)
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/

trixie

Post by trixie » October 15th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Oh, man. Guilty pleasure books? Yeah, I have them, too.

The plot is recycled. The love triangle needed to end about 8 books ago. The family is so obnoxious and stale that I usually skim those scenes, and the side kick is quite possibly the most annoying character in literary history.

But I can't stop reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. (Caveat: I read strictly the series books, not the Plum holiday spin-offs. Those scream Shameless Ploy To Make More Money!!)

Total guilty pleasure. It takes 1-1.5 days to read each book, so I feel like it's time well spent. At least, not time wasted.

The44

Post by The44 » October 31st, 2012, 11:15 pm

I'm not familiar with either Jeaniene Frost or Janet Evanovich. Should I be?

Nicole R

Post by Nicole R » November 12th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I felt the same way about the Inheritance Cycle (though he kind of lost me after the second book). ;)

We're about the same age and, when those books came out, it was the perfect timing to push me in my own writing dreams. Kind of a "if he did it, I can too" sort of thing. So, they'll always be a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

The44

Post by The44 » November 20th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Nicole R wrote:I felt the same way about the Inheritance Cycle (though he kind of lost me after the second book). ;)

We're about the same age and, when those books came out, it was the perfect timing to push me in my own writing dreams. Kind of a "if he did it, I can too" sort of thing. So, they'll always be a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me.
Curiously, it was the fact that Paolini got published, coupled with my dad encouraging me, that I started seriously writing. I wonder how many people starting writing after reading his books, or at least hearing about him getting published at that age.

SunnyE

Post by SunnyE » January 26th, 2013, 3:20 pm

trixie wrote:The plot is recycled. The love triangle needed to end about 8 books ago. The family is so obnoxious and stale that I usually skim those scenes, and the side kick is quite possibly the most annoying character in literary history.

But I can't stop reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. (Caveat: I read strictly the series books, not the Plum holiday spin-offs. Those scream Shameless Ploy To Make More Money!!)

I don't know why anyone would be embarrassed to admit they read Janet Evanovich. This is the first time I've ever heard a negative word about any of her books; and I've heard and read a LOT of people talk about them. I think she's very well respected, at least from readers. I love all her books. They are hysterically funny, easy reads, and the characters are pretty endearing. I recommend them all the time and have never heard anything but "Thank you!" for it.

I don't know that I have any guilty pleasure books. I read what I read, and either like it or don't, but don't really take into account what others say about whether I should like them or not. Can't really think of any that I loved that critics/readers hated. Now if we're talking TV...that's a different story. Plenty of guilty pleasures there.

curtis

Post by curtis » February 17th, 2016, 9:35 pm

I'm reading a book about the environment. It's called Toxic Sludge is Good for You! This is a guilty pleasure because my friends call it a tree hugger book. They are missing out on good writing. The book details the public relations sector and how public relations banned word attempt to undermine the agenda of environmentalists. Scary. It's a good read, though.