Where to Start with Sci-fi

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
dios4vida

Re: Where to Start with Sci-fi

Post by dios4vida » August 15th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Wow guys, these are awesome recommendations! Thanks so much.

Yeah, I guess I'd better get myself a copy of Hitchiker's Guide. No, I've never read it, and yes, I realize that's practically a crime. I'll grab it as soon as I can! :D

I'm surprised at how many people have suggested Anne McCaffrey. I didn't know she did any sci-fi at all, only fantasy. Please don't mob me or anything, but I actually don't like the Dragonriders of Pern. I read the first book and just couldn't get into it at all. I have heard good things about the Crystal Singers (outside of this thread, I mean) but have hesitiated having not enjoyed her most beloved series. Do y'all still say it's worth me trying out?

I just finished Hyperion and that was pretty enjoyable, once I changed my paradigm to reading more as a collection of short stories than a novel. I take it The Fall of Hyperion actually finishes the story? I certainly hope so.

I'll be keeping an eye out for these titles and adding them to my TBR pile, and I'll let everyone know what I think of 'em when I read 'em!

Thanks again, Bransforumers. Y'all rock. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Margo

Re: Where to Start with Sci-fi

Post by Margo » August 15th, 2012, 1:17 pm

dios4vida wrote: Please don't mob me or anything, but I actually don't like the Dragonriders of Pern. I read the first book and just couldn't get into it at all. I have heard good things about the Crystal Singers (outside of this thread, I mean) but have hesitiated having not enjoyed her most beloved series. Do y'all still say it's worth me trying out?
I personally can't stand her fantasy but really like some of her sci-fi, so take that for what it's worth. Try going to Amazon and seeing if the books have the sample available so you can get an idea of the voice.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/