What do you recommend?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
writersink

What do you recommend?

Post by writersink » April 3rd, 2012, 1:58 pm

If someone walked up to you with a gun, pointed it at your head, and told you that you had to recommend them a book that wasn't really well known, what would be the first thing that popped in to your head? There are tons of books I've read that I think deserve awards/ a chance to be number 1. What would you pick?

Personally, there is a book called "Wonder" by R.J Palacio that really touched me.

What about you guys? What hidden gems have you discovered which you think everyone should know about? I'd love to give them a read. Don't think too much about it. What's the first not-so-well-known-book-but-it-really-should-be that you think of?

Hillsy

Re: What do you recommend?

Post by Hillsy » April 3rd, 2012, 3:02 pm

Go quest young man by K.B.Bogen.

Its like pratchett doing harry potter ten years before it came out. Its brilliant.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » April 3rd, 2012, 11:46 pm

The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeier. A fascinating book with an utterly unique concept and some very beautiful writing.

I would recommend it to anyone!

CV

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » April 6th, 2012, 12:40 pm

The only one I can really think of right now is by a NYT bestseller, but this series is mostly neglected even by fans of his. Does that count?

High fantasy lovers all know R.A. Salvatore and his beloved Drizzt. I've read all of his Forgotten Realms books and love them, but they so aren't his best. Folks who want an amazing fantasy ride need to read The DemonWars Saga, especially the first trilogy (The Demon Awakens, The Demon Spirit, The Demon Apostle). They were some of my first fantasy reads and the books that really made me fall in love with the genre.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » April 7th, 2012, 11:21 am

The Legend of Rah and the Muggles.

Yeah. That's right. That'll teach him to point a gun at my head :P

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 9th, 2012, 1:31 pm

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mira

Post by Mira » April 11th, 2012, 1:44 pm

I think the first thing that would pop into my head is: Please put the gun down. :)

However, this is a great question!!

I can't think of anything myself. It may just be that I'm boring and only go with widely-read books! I'll continue to think about it, though. And I'll check out the suggestions on this thread.

writersink

Post by writersink » April 14th, 2012, 7:13 am

Mira wrote:I think the first thing that would pop into my head is: Please put the gun down. :)
I think my first thought would be "take all my money, you can have everything.... wait. You're asking me for a book I recommend? What type of gun man are you?"

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » April 14th, 2012, 10:01 am

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Singer series.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Mira

Post by Mira » April 16th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Beethovenfan wrote:Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Singer series.
I love those!! The other series haven't quite held up for me, but the Dragon singer books with Menolly are still a favorite. It's sad they are not yet out on e-book, though. When they are, I'll definitely re-purchase them.

writersink

Post by writersink » April 28th, 2012, 1:00 pm

I've thought of a new one everyone should watch out for: Incarceron (I think that's how you spell it) by Catherine Fisher. It is a science fiction and next year will be made into a film starring Taylor Launter. The world building is amazing.

GaoYuQing

Post by GaoYuQing » May 11th, 2012, 4:21 pm

That isn't well known? That's pretty subjective. If they asked for best book series I'd say Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. For something that may not be as well known, Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy comes mind since I just read that recently and was very impressed.

writersink

Post by writersink » May 17th, 2012, 11:20 am

GaoYuQing wrote:That isn't well known? That's pretty subjective.
Most people I know haven't heard of them, but then again most of my friends are fairly illiterate. The book one of my friends last "read" was one of "Jamie Oliver's" cook books. I know... it's sad, isn't it?