Magic Realism Recommendations

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Moni12

Magic Realism Recommendations

Post by Moni12 » September 26th, 2011, 11:20 pm

I'm trying a different genre than what I'm used to (fantasy) and am wondering if any of you have book recommendations that can help me figure out how to incorporate the magic into my realism.

I own and have read SATANIC VERSES and THE GIRL WITH GLASS FEET. I also have MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN. Please down recommend 100 YEARS OF SOLITUDE. I read it for my World Literature class along with many short stories in magic/al realism and I have to say I wasn't wild about the book.

Anything else you can think of please let me know. Thanks!

GingerWrite

Re: Magic Realism Recommendations

Post by GingerWrite » September 27th, 2011, 12:20 am

Tamora Pierce has a series called The Circle of Magic that is young adult fantasy. It deals with magic that is expressed through natural outlets like sewing and gardening. It's pretty interesting :)
"The more you read, the more you know. The more you know, the more you grow." - Dr. Suess
Worlds can grow and crumble beneath a writer's pen. We just need to find the right one.
http://startingonthewritepage.blogspot.com/ :)

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » September 28th, 2011, 10:00 am

Thanks for the suggestion, GingerWrite. I looked into this series and it's actually fantasy. Magic Realism is actually more like Urban Fantasy, the difference is that the magic doesn't come as a shock to anyone. It fits naturally into the world and isn't really hidden from anyone. I'm really not sure how else to describe it, but thanks anyway! This sounds like a great series!

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » September 28th, 2011, 10:53 am

You'd do a lot worse than go through a few of the star-wars novels. The Force is essentially magic and everyone knows about it; a jedi may be revered, but they're also mundane in their way.

I've not read any but I've heard that Jim Butcher's Dresden files are pretty good for that; apparently his magic obeys the law of conservation of energy, which is pretty much about as real as you can get. Dunno if magical practices are that well known though....but apparently they're fantstic books

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » September 29th, 2011, 8:43 am

I'll second the motion for the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. They are very good with the magical realism thing. And they are great books, so, bonus!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Margo

Post by Margo » September 29th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Nalo Hopkinson does magic realism (not quite the same as urban fantasy due to a major difference in the way magic is handled...just discussed this with her and Donald Maass a few months ago at a workshop). I recommend The New Moon's Arms for straight up magic realism.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/