Final Cover - Opinion needed

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Guardian

Final Cover - Opinion needed

Post by Guardian » August 2nd, 2011, 4:54 am

It seems these are going to be the final covers for my trilogy, Crystal Shade. Elegant, but also mysterious, nothing fancy; a symbol easy to recognize (A symbol what the readers also going to understand from the story.). I'm curious what you think.

ellisshuman

Re: Final Cover - Opinion needed

Post by ellisshuman » August 2nd, 2011, 7:44 am

Very impressive!

Ellis
Ellis Shuman
http://ellisshuman.blogspot.com

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 2nd, 2011, 8:41 am

The individual volumes don't have titles?

Guardian

Post by Guardian » August 2nd, 2011, 8:58 am

Sometimes we call them as "Angeni Blue", "Angeni Gold" and "Angeni Red" after the covers, but officially they don't have any fancy title. Volume 1, 2 and 3 is their name. Personally I don't feel the necessity to create a name for the different volumes (Afterall, It's one long story from the beginning to the end.). At least everyone who will see the second and the third volume will know there is a first one (Sometimes it's not trivial at all, as every volume has different titles. In the past I also bought a novel where in the end I realized I read the fifth and the last one from the series. Up from that moment I didn't want to read the previous four as I already knew the ending. I'd like if my readers would know there are different volumes, so I use Volume numbers instead of different titles.).

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 2nd, 2011, 11:04 am

I love them, Guardian. They're striking and simple. I'd definitely flip it over/open to get a feel for the story and if I want to buy it. (And from what I've been hearing about them, I do!)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Guardian

Post by Guardian » August 2nd, 2011, 2:10 pm

I'm glad you like them. :)

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » August 2nd, 2011, 9:02 pm

The covers look great! Very eye-grabbing.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 4th, 2011, 12:53 pm

They remind me of video game covers, very eye catching. I think it would stand out on a shelf or in a list of other books. I only have one questions for you though - are these digital covers? If so, even at this size, the text at the bottom below the author names is impossible to read. I don't know what it says and most online book sellers require them to be even smaller. If it is in print it would be fine. I would have the same concern for the title too. The shape of the title typeface might be less legible when made smaller. Off the top of my head I can't remember what Amazon's sizing is, but I know it is pretty small.

In a bigger format the coloring and arrangement is very striking. The colors really pop. The graphic design is very well done.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » August 4th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:They remind me of video game covers, very eye catching.
I worked in various area of the gaming industry for few years, marketing included. The basic idea for the colors and the entire layout came from there, from that experience. :)
I think it would stand out on a shelf or in a list of other books. I only have one questions for you though - are these digital covers?
Both. They can be printed in CMYK system and the colors won't change a thing (These are the RGB digital covers), so they can be used as a standard cover too as the original version is in 300DPI.
If so, even at this size, the text at the bottom below the author names is impossible to read.
Those are just space filler lines with some legal blabla. It says; Crystal Shade: Angeni ©2009-11 All Rights Reserved, www.crystalshadeangeni.com. I couldn't figure out anything useful to that place. Originally I wanted a phrase or a quote there, but just as you said, it would be impossible to read.
I would have the same concern for the title too. The shape of the title typeface might be less legible when made smaller. Off the top of my head I can't remember what Amazon's sizing is, but I know it is pretty small.
The general idea was to grab the attention with the logo instead of the name as the title, Crystal Shade or the secondary title, Angeni won't say a thing to anyone until they're not reading the novel. Of course, there is the title, but in the first round the readers mostly memorize good cover pictures and logos instead of a new title. So to compensate this, I basically replace the title with a larger, recognizable logo. Then the readers will be able to connect the logo with the title itself. Well... this is the theory, then we will see how is it going to work out.
In a bigger format the coloring and arrangement is very striking. The colors really pop. The graphic design is very well done.
I'm glad you like it. :)

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 4th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Guardian wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:They remind me of video game covers, very eye catching.
I worked in various area of the gaming industry for few years, marketing included. The basic idea for the colors and the entire layout came from there, from that experience. :)
That's awesome! I'm glad I took notice :-)
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » August 7th, 2011, 2:23 pm

I'm glad you like it, Nathan!

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 11th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Looks great to me. Can I ask who the artist is?
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Guardian

Post by Guardian » August 11th, 2011, 4:03 pm

MattLarkin wrote:Looks great to me. Can I ask who the artist is?
Yep. I'm the artist. Professional graphic artist is my second profession and my hobby in one. :) I created all the other arts on Crystal Shade's website too (It's in my signature.).

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 11th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Guardian wrote:
MattLarkin wrote:Looks great to me. Can I ask who the artist is?
Yep. I'm the artist. Professional graphic artist is my second profession and my hobby in one. :) I created all the other arts on Crystal Shade's website too (It's in my signature.).
Wow! Brilliant site and great art (as someone that's done web design I really am impressed with its style). A really like the music, too. Color me impressed--and I'll plan on picking up Crystal Shade on my Kindle.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage