Use Science to Find Your Next Read!

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
dios4vida

Use Science to Find Your Next Read!

Post by dios4vida » July 29th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Hey folks, I ran across this link thanks to mental_floss (talk about a time waster/useless fact collector!). Type in the name of an author and it'll bring up a visual map of similar authors. I typed in one of my favorite authors (R.A. Salvatore) and was amazed at how accurate it was. I've heard of and/or tried well over half of the recommendations and I'd definitely group them together.

So if you're looking for a book similar to <insert author's name here>, try this site! It might lead you to some treasures. :)

http://www.literature-map.com/
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

meganstirler

Re: Use Science to Find Your Next Read!

Post by meganstirler » July 31st, 2011, 4:00 pm

That was totally cool - thanks for the link!
Meg
meganstirler.wordpress.com

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 1st, 2011, 7:53 pm

Best site I've seen in a while. I really like how the distance kind of gives you an idea of how similar the authors are.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Ishta

Post by Ishta » August 13th, 2011, 2:22 am

Neat! Although I do kind of wonder about the proximity of JK Rowling to Stephenie Meyer - I love both of their books, BUT, their writing styles are completely different.

Which makes me wonder if this is more of a "taste" thing than a "similarity in writing" thing. Either way, it's pretty cool.

BransfordGroupie

Post by BransfordGroupie » August 13th, 2011, 2:57 am

Wow! Love it. I was a big fan of Robert Jordan, so I gave him a whirl, and watayano I had read at least a dozen of the other authors that popped up. I was curious to find Dan Brown in the mix though (even if he was a little further from the centre.

I'll keep this on in my fav links though.
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 13th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Ishta wrote:Neat! Although I do kind of wonder about the proximity of JK Rowling to Stephenie Meyer - I love both of their books, BUT, their writing styles are completely different.

Which makes me wonder if this is more of a "taste" thing than a "similarity in writing" thing. Either way, it's pretty cool.
I know what you mean, Ishta. I did a Rowling search just to see what would come up and it was everything from Dan Brown to Charlotte Bronte to Stephen King. Nearly every single name on the page was a household-name, bestseller. The only ones that weren't were the authors whose style actually IS similar to Rowling's.

I think how it works is you go to one of the tabs and can input three of your favorite authors. It's supposed to give you a short list of others (mine didn't come up with any results) but I think they keep track of those and that's how they've made their maps. It's just a guess, though.

Glad everyone's liking the link as much as I did!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 14th, 2011, 11:17 am

This is fantastic. GOsh, never touch that site with my Kindle within reach.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla