How do you read?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
dios4vida

How do you read?

Post by dios4vida » May 22nd, 2011, 11:18 am

No, seriously, I mean how do you read? Do you lay on your back and hold the book above you? On your stomach with the book on the floor? In bed? Propped in a chair? Do you have a favorite reading spot with the ideal light-to-comfort ratio?

Personally, I'm the 'kick-back-with-your-feet-up-and-read' kind of person. I used to lay on my stomach all the time but now I can't do it (stupid joints). I either sit in a recliner or in my office chair, put my feet up (I get a kick out of putting my feet on my desk, even though it's just my personal desk at home), and hold the book in front of me. It just works. And it makes it easier to reach the hot tea and snacks.

You?
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Watcher55

Re: How do you read?

Post by Watcher55 » May 22nd, 2011, 12:07 pm

I’m a lazy napper. I turn everything off except for the reading lamp, which is situated so it looks at the book and not my eyes. I stretch out on the couch and read. That way I don’t have to go anywhere to take my nap.

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » May 22nd, 2011, 5:02 pm

I curl up in a chair with a CD and ice water in close reach. :) One of my favorite ways to spend a day.

Collectonian

Post by Collectonian » May 22nd, 2011, 6:17 pm

Depends on where I'm reading :-) When I'm reading on the sofa, I'll usually lean against the arm with my head on my left hand and my right holding my book in my lap or in the air. If it is a larger book, both hands holding.

When I'm reading in bed, I'll either lay on my side with the book on the pillow in front of me and head on right hand, or I'll lay on my stomach with the book lying on the pillow or propped up, depending on light and the size of the print.

In the tub, I usually stick with books I can hold with one hand while the other deals with turning pages, or holding just to hold between turns. Since I usually am without my glasses, the book is held in the air pretty close to my face :-P (nearsighted isn't even the word LOL)

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 23rd, 2011, 3:57 pm

Personally I can read anywhere, any time. I don't really have a favorite place or position.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » May 24th, 2011, 10:55 am

I can pretty much read anywhere, but my favorite spots are on either the couch, or in bed before I go to sleep at night. If the book is really big, I'll lay on my stomach, usually across the bed, so my feet dangle down.

rhrussellwriter

Post by rhrussellwriter » May 24th, 2011, 11:45 am

My favorite way to read is lying on the grass, on my back, with the book held up to block the sun.

Mira

Post by Mira » May 27th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Cool question.

I love to read in a comfy chair or sofa. I love to read outside where it's pretty, but it's hard to find a really comfy chair there. And I like to be way comfortable when I read.....so, like Watcher, I can drift off into a nap, if necessary......

But I CAN and DO read just about anywhere.

delorfinde

Post by delorfinde » June 5th, 2011, 9:24 am

Usually on the bus, so with the book on my lap. Often when I'm walking along, so holding it out in front of me. If I'm in bed it'll be curled up with it on my knee :)
delorfinde: dancer, writer, reader, musician, blogger, vlogger

"We are the unexpected items in the bagging area of life" ~ Bill Bailey

http://www.delorfinde.wordpress.com
http://www.youtube.com/MJLongman

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 5th, 2011, 10:49 pm

I'm an anywhere-and-everywhere reader. I sync between my iPhone and iPad, and any time I have a spare stretch of time I'll use whichever one I have handy. Standing, sitting, propped up while eating lunch, you name it.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » June 5th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Bath tub.

I love, love, love reading in a hot, steamy bath.

Sometimes I read on the couch, but more often than not, I'm in the tub. I will purposefully fix a bath when I'm in the mood to read. :-) I've become an expert at keeping the pages dry.

venetis

Post by venetis » June 22nd, 2011, 7:40 am

I love reading specially Novels. My interest of novel depends on my reading style. Firstly i read it sitting on the chair or on Bed. When i feel fatigue than i lay on my stomach and hold the book in my hands...

Nicole R

Post by Nicole R » June 22nd, 2011, 9:16 am

Count me with the "anywhere and everywhere" crowd. As long as I'm sucked into the story, I'm good. :P

GKJeyasingham

Post by GKJeyasingham » June 22nd, 2011, 5:45 pm

Usually lying on my bed (on my side or on my front). If not that, then I'm sitting down with the bottom edge of the book against my lap. I have yet to read standing up.

The only thing I can't do is read on my back. It always seems weird, and holding up a book (or a somewhat heavier Nook Colour) for an extended period of time can get annoying and tiring.

Leila

Post by Leila » June 23rd, 2011, 2:25 pm

My preferred space to read is sitting on my bed with iPad in hand. But it really doesn't bother me. I read anywhere, anytime, paper book or iPad, whichever one is handy.