Women's Fiction Recommendations

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Moni12

Women's Fiction Recommendations

Post by Moni12 » May 4th, 2011, 8:36 pm

I really hate to add to my reading list for the summer, but I was wondering what any of you would recommend for women's fiction. I am not exactly writing women's fiction, but something that is similarly structured and would like to read more in the area. Thanks!

ddelano

Re: Women's Fiction Recommendations

Post by ddelano » May 7th, 2011, 1:11 pm

I'd love to give some recommendations, but I have to admit that I remain confused about what actually falls into the genre of "women's fiction." Off the top of my head, I wanted to recommend Tracy Chevalier's "Remarkable Creatures," but maybe that is really historical fiction. Lisa See's "Shanghai Girls," and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan," also came to mind, but do those fall into the women's fiction category? I hope someone can jump in here and enlighten me, because I would love to know whether my WIP falls into the women's fiction category or not - I just don't know!!

Judyn1

Post by Judyn1 » May 7th, 2011, 5:47 pm

I am a mystery writer and reader, so that necessarily colors my recommendations. Tana French's novels are superb: In the Woods, The Likeness....

In a lighter vein, Ellen Crosby's series set in Virginia wine country include The Merlot Murders, The Chardonnay Charade, The Riesling Retribution....[ Do not pass these by because of the cutsie titles. They are good solid mysteries with a strong female protagonist, and are lots of fun. Her last in the series, something about Sauvignon, will be out in June. After that, Crosby, a former foreign news correspondent, is starting a new series based in Washington D.C. and featuring a new heroine.

I continue to be wowed by anything Elizabeth George writes and probably will be studying and rereading her, P.D. James, and Daphne DuMaurier till the end of my days.

Judy Nedry
http://www.judynedry.com

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » May 15th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Thanks for the help! I think I figured out what direction to take the story in.