Thieves and ignorance.

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Margo

Re: Thieves and ignorance.

Post by Margo » February 2nd, 2011, 5:19 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote: - Encouraging the use of libraries, especially now that many of them are allowing you to check out e-books from home.
- Getting the word out when sample chapters are posted on an author's website so that people can "Try before they buy."
- Sending letters to publishers asking them to change certain policies that keep you from buying from them.
- Clicking on the button on Amazon that sends a letter from Amazon to the publisher asking for a book to be made available for the Kindle. I assume other e-sellers have something like this? I don't know off the top of my head.
- Sending letters to Amazon and Borders and whoever else has an e-reader asking them to make it easier to buy books from lots of places.
- Sending a letter to a publisher asking for a book in another country.
- Talking about book sellers on the internet who sell internationally and give them some good press.
Probably the only thing useful to come out of this discussion all day, ideas I suspect are reasonable to one and all.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Guardian

Post by Guardian » February 2nd, 2011, 5:22 pm

Margo wrote:
Guardian wrote:So, mister you already violated one right, because you shared someone's intellectual property on a public channel. It's the very same.
I wouldn't be so sure of that when it's YouTube. It depends on the licensing. It would definitely be a good thing to check, though, before linking. Can you download from YouTube? I didn't know that was even possible.
Linking and watching is equal with downloading. The difference is, downloading is static, while watching, listening is streaming and interactive. But all of them are "downloading". Although yes, there are few tricks to download from youtube. The best example is; whenever you watch a video, most of them are stored in your computer's cache, on your Hard Drive (Hence, it's a download).. In Explorer 7 (I'm using Firefox, but it's also storing it somewhere.)... so in Explorer, tools / internet options / temporary internet files / settings / view files (All the video files what you watched, or ever listened is there, because your computer is downloading almost everything streamed. So this is why I said, unintentionally. Literally, you never downloaded anything illegal, but whatever you watched or listened via a browser, is usually on your computer, downloaded. So, it's already illegal.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » February 2nd, 2011, 5:26 pm

Watcher55 wrote:
sierramcconnell wrote:Wow, Pandora. Not only are they the highest royalty paying Internet Radio company, but they also sell their user's information to their advertisers to make ends meet because of it.
I haven't been spammed a single time. When you pay the premium you don't get ads between songs and they don't share your information.
Yes, they do. I know this because I work in IT, and an article recently came out where it spoke about tracking your applications and pulling information out from it about you and what you do to send more advertising your way. It also pulls your contacts and personal information and as of yet does not send it, but pulls it none-the-less.

It's one of the reasons we do not allow the application use here, but the other is because it is a major, major bandwidth leech. It will slow your PC down insanely.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » February 2nd, 2011, 5:26 pm

Guardian wrote:
Margo wrote:
Guardian wrote:You're using the net, so it's impossible that you've not violated at least one or two rights, even unintentionally.
You are seriously reaching. You absolutely can't conceive of the idea that someone doesn't steal, so now I have to be doing it unintentionally.
I'm also not stealing, but I'm also well aware that whenever you do something on the net, you can violate some laws, even unintentionally. It's not reaching, it's the fact.
YouTube vids are free.
YouTube is free, but the vids are already violating many copyrights. But tell it to those whose are uploading them or even linking them. For example that U2 video what you linked on this forum is not free. It belongs to U2 and it's publisher. So, mister you already violated one right, because you shared someone's intellectual property on a public channel. It's the very same.
You Tube is free. I did not have to pull any hacker tricks to LINK to it. I did it in "good faith" (that's a legal term btw) And, mister - I fell into your trap of comparing apples and oranges. I'm done with this discussion. Y'all know my stance and that's all there is to it.
Margo wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote: - Encouraging the use of libraries, especially now that many of them are allowing you to check out e-books from home.
- Getting the word out when sample chapters are posted on an author's website so that people can "Try before they buy."
- Sending letters to publishers asking them to change certain policies that keep you from buying from them.
- Clicking on the button on Amazon that sends a letter from Amazon to the publisher asking for a book to be made available for the Kindle. I assume other e-sellers have something like this? I don't know off the top of my head.
- Sending letters to Amazon and Borders and whoever else has an e-reader asking them to make it easier to buy books from lots of places.
- Sending a letter to a publisher asking for a book in another country.
- Talking about book sellers on the internet who sell internationally and give them some good press.
Probably the only thing useful to come out of this discussion all day, ideas I suspect are reasonable to one and all.
I'm going to bow out now by saying I absolutely agree that your suggestions are sane and necessary first steps, and I apologize for hi-jacking this thread. Thank you for being the voice of reason.

Margo

Post by Margo » February 2nd, 2011, 5:31 pm

Watcher55 wrote:I'm going to bow out now by saying I absolutely agree that your suggestions are sane and necessary first steps, and I apologize for hi-jacking this thread. Thank you for being the voice of reason.
On that note, I believe I shall follow suit.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Guardian

Post by Guardian » February 2nd, 2011, 5:39 pm

Watcher55 wrote:You Tube is free. I did not have to pull any hacker tricks to LINK to it. I did it in "good faith" (that's a legal term btw) And, mister - I fell into your trap of comparing apples and oranges. I'm done with this discussion. Y'all know my stance and that's all there is to it.
There are no hacker tricks in it. You just shared a link for a video, which is illegally there. It's that simple. It's not an apples vs. oranges trap. It's apples vs. apples, on the legal way. But a download for your novel would hurt you, because it's yours. And as I see, you also forgot the "good faith" when I mentioned that "innocent 10 years old is uploading your novel" example. So, the difference is the point of view. If it's yours, it's law and you would demand justice. But if it's the work of others, who cares? It's good faith.

Well, welcome to the 21st century.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » February 2nd, 2011, 11:46 pm

I, for one, welcome our new kleptomaniacal overlords!

And thanks, Guardian! When CRYSTAL SHADE ANGENI comes out as books and movies or whatever, we'll all steal it with your full approval. Meanwhile, I won't mention the onerous Terms Of Use and Ownership Of Contents page on your website. Or the Confidentiality Agreement you wanted people on Absolute Write to sign before they could read your Beloved WIP. Oh, I just did.

And you're right about the Twenty-First century. It should be ended right now! Let's just make next year 2101 instead of 2012.

Sierra, you're right about the Human Race. It's over, and nobody won. TOTAL ANNIHILATION is the only answer! I'm thinking poisonous spores, or maybe sabotaging the ozone layer, but I'm still open to suggestions. You and all Bransforumites are welcome to join me in my secret Antarctic Fortress Of Solitude. Which will end my solitude, strictly speaking, but you get my drift.

P. S. Guardian, if you do become a gardener, can we all come to Hungary and steal your plants? Or will you 'aggressively' enforce your 'rights to the fullest extent of the law'?

As Margo said. 'From your own lips.'

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » February 2nd, 2011, 11:57 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Sierra, you're right about the Human Race. It's over, and nobody won. TOTAL ANNIHILATION is the only answer! I'm thinking poisonous spores, or maybe sabotaging the ozone layer, but I'm still open to suggestions. You and all Bransforumites are welcome to join me in my secret Antarctic Fortress Of Solitude. Which will end my solitude, strictly speaking, but you get my drift.
Especially if you look into what's happened\ing in Cairo right now. Humankind at it's finest. Frightening.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Dankrubis

Post by Dankrubis » February 3rd, 2011, 12:46 am

J. T. SHEA wrote:I, for one, welcome our new kleptomaniacal overlords!

And thanks, Guardian! When CRYSTAL SHADE ANGENI comes out as books and movies or whatever, we'll all steal it with your full approval. Meanwhile, I won't mention the onerous Terms Of Use and Ownership Of Contents page on your website. Or the Confidentiality Agreement you wanted people on Absolute Write to sign before they could read your Beloved WIP. Oh, I just did.

And you're right about the Twenty-First century. It should be ended right now! Let's just make next year 2101 instead of 2012.

Sierra, you're right about the Human Race. It's over, and nobody won. TOTAL ANNIHILATION is the only answer! I'm thinking poisonous spores, or maybe sabotaging the ozone layer, but I'm still open to suggestions. You and all Bransforumites are welcome to join me in my secret Antarctic Fortress Of Solitude. Which will end my solitude, strictly speaking, but you get my drift.

P. S. Guardian, if you do become a gardener, can we all come to Hungary and steal your plants? Or will you 'aggressively' enforce your 'rights to the fullest extent of the law'?

As Margo said. 'From your own lips.'
I have no idea what's going on, but I approve wholeheartedly.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » February 3rd, 2011, 6:49 am

J. T. SHEA wrote:I, for one, welcome our new kleptomaniacal overlords!
First of all, I'm not kleptomaniac, but I don't really like the endless hypocrisy either. You hate downloads when it's about your projects (Rightful hate, I also admitted), but when you do the very-very-very same, that's good and who cares. First of all, this is the moment where all the "fight against pirates" cases are lost. You may fight against pirates and say, they stole it. Then the lawyer is going to ask the following: did you ever downloaded something illegal? And case closed. This is what you can't understand. You also don't understand that Sierra and I, we're not embracing or supporting the pirates. But at least we're not hypocrites and we're not playing the saint in this matter. Sierra is also working as an IT, and I also worked a lot with computers, and we also do know few things about downloads you maybe never heard of, yet it's existing. You can't fight against it, but you can use it to your advantage.

So instead of fighting against it, try to use it to your advantage. Although why do you expect from anyone to respect your work, or feel any sort of empathy if you can't respect the work of others or you can't show any empathy either? Your next paragraph is a fine example for this.
As the overall opinion about Absolute Write is not the best in general, and I also heard a lot of warnings regarding that site, so of course I did it there. Oh, and is the Terms of Use and Ownership of Contents is onerous? I never noticed that. I thought it's just an easy read (I tried to reduce it to the minimum.). But thanks for the warning. But it's also a necessary element on every legal site, especially when I'm legally using other elements, created by someone else, such as the music. Oh. And don't fall into the trap of CSA. It may cause some unexpected surprise. ;) And please, act like an adult, instead of this "I'm going to show you! I'm going to prove it! I'm going to discredit you in front of everyone one in my endless flustration!". It's highly unprofessional. So, my answer for this "I highlight your WIP's name to strike back with it" is in the last paragraph.
At least we agree in something.
Just take care of the flowers. :)

Oh, and J.T. The mentioned last paragraph. I'd like to say thank you for the free advertisement what you've made for my novel. All with capital letters. Well, only the neon lights are missing around the title (But next time, please also take a colon before "Angeni", as it is the secondary title). Anyway, you did a pretty good job as you've just boosted my site's traffic with few additional percent. So, thank you very much.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » February 4th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Guardian, sometimes hypocrisy, hate, misunderstanding, and disrespect are, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Also frustration and lack of empathy and professionalism.

I'm glad my comment boosted your site traffic. I'll try to work in the neon lights next time.

Seriously, readers should take look at your sites. They'll find interesting things. Things worth guarding, Guardian. Readers should also take a look at your first page and my comments, which they'll find about half-way down page one of the EXCERPTS part of the FEEDBACK CENTRAL section of these Forums.

And I'll take care with your flowers. But be warned! Like Bugs Bunny, I love carrots.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » February 4th, 2011, 10:01 pm

J.T. Honestly I don't have the slightest clue what your problem is, but carry on. You're on a really good way to discredit yourself with this behavior. Although you may start a crusade against my WIP, but you're just wasting your time... and mine.

Oh, and thank you for the excellent presentation for our today's lesson: "How a professional should not behave". Well, if you want a blacklist "achievement", you're on the perfect way to get it.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » February 5th, 2011, 1:09 am

Guardian, I have tried to disagree with you in a lighthearted way and avoid drawing attention to your occasionally poor command of the English language. That isn't working. So let me spell out my last comment in simpler terms:-

My first paragraph disagrees with your previous comment. Humorously. I did not otherwise respond to your personal attacks.

The first sentence of my second paragraph is intended seriously. I really AM glad my previous comment boosted your site traffic. The second sentence is a joke in response to your joke about neon lights.

I also intended my third paragraph seriously. How am I crusading against your WIP by drawing readers' attention to its first page in a thread where I commented as favorably and helpfully as I could, you thanked me, and I was the only commenter?

My last paragraph was a joke in response to your joke about gardening.

So, let me repeat. In all seriousness and sincerity, I liked your first page and websites, and I think they are worthy of readers' time and attention.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » February 5th, 2011, 9:43 am

J. T. SHEA wrote:Guardian, I have tried to disagree with you in a lighthearted way and avoid drawing attention to your occasionally poor command of the English language.
The intended tone is sometimes vanishing in translation, especially on a forum, just as it did in your responses and presumably in my ones too. So, just to make this clear...

Friendly statement (advice): Telling the grammar mistakes on a "forum" is a bit unprofessional, especially: #1: if you can understand it, #2: if the language is not the user's native language, #3: if it's appearing on a forum. Writing on a different language is hard, especially when the two languages, my native and yours is using quite different grammar, words and structure.

Happy statement: But you're right. Well, one thing is sure; Editors would be billionaries if they should check and correct my grammar on forums. I'm well aware of that. :)
I did not otherwise respond to your personal attacks.
Friendly statement: Maybe it wasn't intentional, maybe you thought otherwise, but even with your pro-English, it sounded as a personal attack as the intended tone is... disappeared. Well, it seems both of us misunderstood something.
How am I crusading against your WIP by drawing readers' attention to its first page in a thread where I commented as favorably and helpfully as I could, you thanked me, and I was the only commenter?
Friendly statement: I know you commented it and I really appreciate it.
So, let me repeat. In all seriousness and sincerity, I liked your first page and websites, and I think they are worthy of readers' time and attention.
Happy response: Thank you very much!

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » February 5th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Thanks for your thanks, Guardian! I am glad to be of some assistance.

In your first page thread I acknowledged the difficult of writing in a second language, particularly writing whole books, a task I find difficult enough in my native English. I would not normally correct people's grammar, but we are writers writing on a writing forum. If I ever write a book in Hungarian, please feel free to improve my grammar!

Speaking of languages, the first paragraph of your second WIP, which you have posted in the YOUR FIRST PARAGRAPH thread in ALL THINGS WRITING is interesting in its use of Morse Code. I would love to hear with other commenters think.