What is your go-to book?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
sierramcconnell

Re: What is your go-to book?

Post by sierramcconnell » December 1st, 2010, 2:18 pm

Cookie wrote:I would have to say LOTR or anything by Anne Rice. But for YA or Children's, I really liked Beastly and of course Howl's Moving Castle. I highly recommend both of those.
I am on a pretty big paranormal/fantasy YA kick lately. Does anyone have any recommendations besides Crescendo (which I was eying Hush Hush anyways, and now I think I have to check out based upon the raves in this thread)?
All I can say is avoid Halo. It has a pretty cover but the main protag is a fluff head and everyone else is just flat. At least to me. It was like...I wanted to beat my head against the wall for most of it because of all the cliche floating around. And she's planning a sequel, dear God. A sequel.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Mike Dickson

Post by Mike Dickson » December 1st, 2010, 2:20 pm

Vince Flynn and Grisham. I read them over and over.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 1st, 2010, 2:25 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:
Cookie wrote:I would have to say LOTR or anything by Anne Rice. But for YA or Children's, I really liked Beastly and of course Howl's Moving Castle. I highly recommend both of those.
I am on a pretty big paranormal/fantasy YA kick lately. Does anyone have any recommendations besides Crescendo (which I was eying Hush Hush anyways, and now I think I have to check out based upon the raves in this thread)?
All I can say is avoid Halo. It has a pretty cover but the main protag is a fluff head and everyone else is just flat. At least to me. It was like...I wanted to beat my head against the wall for most of it because of all the cliche floating around. And she's planning a sequel, dear God. A sequel.

Thanks for that. I was considering that book, mostly for the pretty cover, but I will have to avoid now.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » December 1st, 2010, 2:38 pm

Cookie wrote:
sierramcconnell wrote:
Thanks for that. I was considering that book, mostly for the pretty cover, but I will have to avoid now.
Yes, I was entirely disappointed. But not as much as I was when I read Need (I think that was the first one) by Carrie Jones. I was so angered at the end of that book that I threw the book across the room. I couldn't look at it. I couldn't have it in my house. That has only ever happened with one other book. So the next day I gave it to a friend who wanted to read it and when I told her how upset I was I had to sit down. I told her I never wanted to see it again and she had better not return it. I would have burned it, if I believed in burning books.

I hated what they did, at the end of the book. I was so upset that even now I can't stand to think of it. I know she's written others in the series but I can't bring myself to hope or think she might have redeemed herself.

It pissed me off, THAT MUCH.
I'm on Tumblr!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 1st, 2010, 2:49 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:Yes, I was entirely disappointed. But not as much as I was when I read Need (I think that was the first one) by Carrie Jones. I was so angered at the end of that book that I threw the book across the room. I couldn't look at it. I couldn't have it in my house. That has only ever happened with one other book. So the next day I gave it to a friend who wanted to read it and when I told her how upset I was I had to sit down. I told her I never wanted to see it again and she had better not return it. I would have burned it, if I believed in burning books.

I hated what they did, at the end of the book. I was so upset that even now I can't stand to think of it. I know she's written others in the series but I can't bring myself to hope or think she might have redeemed herself.

It pissed me off, THAT MUCH.
Really? Ok, now I'm curious. I've never read it, so I may have to just so see how bad it is.
I'm trying to remember if I ever had a book that made me feel that way. I know there is at least one, but I can't think of it right now. Wait, it's coming to me. It was Skye O'Malley by Bertrice Small. I liked the first book, however when I read the synopsis to the second one, I could not bring myself to read it because it totally ruined the ending to the first book.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » December 1st, 2010, 2:56 pm

Cookie wrote:Really? Ok, now I'm curious. I've never read it, so I may have to just so see how bad it is.
I'm trying to remember if I ever had a book that made me feel that way. I know there is at least one, but I can't think of it right now. Wait, it's coming to me. It was Skye O'Malley by Bertrice Small. I liked the first book, however when I read the synopsis to the second one, I could not bring myself to read it because it totally ruined the ending to the first book.
Well, if you like the fey\fay aspect at all, you will not like it, I don't think. That's probably why my friends didn't get why I was so upset. But even stripping that away, she basically
Spoiler:
locked them all up in a house where they would go mad and starve to death until she decided what to do with them, while her own father begged her to please not do this. The catch? If either her or her mother stayed, it would infuse the family with new blood and they wouldn't have to go and hunt young boys to get the blood they craved. It was her mother's fault for backing out on the contract she made with her father (the pixie king) in the first place. WTH. Just freaking help him out. Don't leave him to madness and starvation in an iron fortified house, you stupid spoiled whore.
And we as a reader were supposed to be all, "Yay, good guys won?" Hell no. HELL NO.

Sorry. Everytime I think about it, it just...unnerves and incenses me. And I don't know why. [breathes]
I'm on Tumblr!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 1st, 2010, 3:10 pm

Lol. I'm sorry, your description was just hilarious.
You might not like my MS then. It ends pretty badly. But I intended it that way. In fact, I kinda want the reader to hate me for the ending.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » December 1st, 2010, 3:16 pm

Cookie wrote:Lol. I'm sorry, your description was just hilarious.
You might not like my MS then. It ends pretty badly. But I intended it that way. In fact, I kinda want the reader to hate me for the ending.
Well, I kill people, torture people, and do all sorts of bad things to children. So that's why it strikes me as odd that it would hurt me so much. But it did. Dear God, it did.

It fact, just last night I sent a Nephilim child off to Hell to be sacrificed by a demon lord, mwaha.

So why does that bother me. Who knows. Maybe it was the begging. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 1st, 2010, 3:27 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:
Well, I kill people, torture people, and do all sorts of bad things to children. So that's why it strikes me as odd that it would hurt me so much. But it did. Dear God, it did.

It fact, just last night I sent a Nephilim child off to Hell to be sacrificed by a demon lord, mwaha.

Or it could be that fact that she was a selfish whore. It could also be the context. You expect more from the teenager, even though they are not always going to make better choices than say a demon lord.
I don't know, but your book sounds interesting.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » December 1st, 2010, 3:35 pm

Cookie wrote:
sierramcconnell wrote:

Or it could be that fact that she was a selfish whore. It could also be the context. You expect more from the teenager, even though they are not always going to make better choices than say a demon lord.
I don't know, but your book sounds interesting.
Thank you! Now if I could only write the whole thing. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 1st, 2010, 3:44 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:Thank you! Now if I could only write the whole thing. XD

Yes, I have that problem too. I made the mistake of starting a series with the last book, so now I have to go back and revise a whole lot. I mean a lot. But overall, I think it is better.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 1st, 2010, 3:46 pm

Cookie wrote:Yes, I have that problem too. I made the mistake of starting a series with the last book, so now I have to go back and revise a whole lot. I mean a lot. But overall, I think it is better.
Mine picks up in the middle of its overarching timeline, so it has a lot of backstory to deal with. It's not always as hard as it sounds, as long as you're careful not to reveal too much at once.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 1st, 2010, 4:04 pm

Fenris wrote:
Cookie wrote:Yes, I have that problem too. I made the mistake of starting a series with the last book, so now I have to go back and revise a whole lot. I mean a lot. But overall, I think it is better.
Mine picks up in the middle of its overarching timeline, so it has a lot of backstory to deal with. It's not always as hard as it sounds, as long as you're careful not to reveal too much at once.

I mean I actually started writing the last one first. Then I decided that since there was so much back-story it ended up being a four book series. I have the first two finished, and am now finishing/ revising the last two.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 1st, 2010, 4:50 pm

Cookie wrote:
Fenris wrote:

I mean I actually started writing the last one first. Then I decided that since there was so much back-story it ended up being a four book series. I have the first two finished, and am now finishing/ revising the last two.
Oh, okay. You're doing better than I am--I've got about six books (or at least six interconnected plotlines, some of which may be crammed together a la Parts One and Two if they aren't long enough to stand on their own in print form) planned out, but I'm still revising the first one. >.< I like to have one project completely finished before moving on to the next, but sometimes that's frustrating...
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 1st, 2010, 6:01 pm

Fenris wrote:Oh, okay. You're doing better than I am--I've got about six books (or at least six interconnected plotlines, some of which may be crammed together a la Parts One and Two if they aren't long enough to stand on their own in print form) planned out, but I'm still revising the first one. >.< I like to have one project completely finished before moving on to the next, but sometimes that's frustrating...
I try sticking to one, however that is not how my imagination likes to work. It kinda goes all over willy-nilly. Very frustrating indeed.