Genre: Steampunk

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Down the well

Re: Genre: Steampunk

Post by Down the well » September 14th, 2010, 12:39 pm

I was at a conference this weekend, and after talking to everyone about what they are working on:

Steampunk might just be the new Vampire. Adult and YA.

And lots of people are working on post-apocalyptic zombie stuff.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » September 14th, 2010, 1:03 pm

CharleeVale wrote:Cassandra Clare's new series the Infernal Devices could be considered steampunk after a fashion. So could leviathan by Scott Westerfield.

CV
I'm not sure I'd consider Leviathan steampunk. It's got the machinary and goggles and blimps, but it is told in more ofa historical fantasy way than a steampunk way. I could see it going both ways, I suppose. It shares elements with steampunk.

I haven't read Clockwork Angel yet though it is sitting on my desk at home. From what I can tell it definately is steampunky.
Margo wrote:
I see Sommer already mentioned Cherie Priest. I just saw a mention of her related to the sequel to the book Sommer read, which won a Locus Award. I may check that one out myself, though it will have to go to the bottom of my already towering reading pile.
It's a good book, very interesting ideas. I'd even call it something like steampunk horror. It has zombies in it, but it is more steampunk than horror.
Down the well wrote:I was at a conference this weekend, and after talking to everyone about what they are working on:

Steampunk might just be the new Vampire. Adult and YA.

And lots of people are working on post-apocalyptic zombie stuff.
I fall in with the YA zombie stuff crowd. It makes me a little nervous that so many people are writing about it. I wish I would have finished sooner, but my first draft 2 years ago was terrible and required a whole new rewrite. Haha, I don't feel like a unique little snowflake anymore.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Margo

Post by Margo » September 14th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:I fall in with the YA zombie stuff crowd. It makes me a little nervous that so many people are writing about it. I wish I would have finished sooner, but my first draft 2 years ago was terrible and required a whole new rewrite. Haha, I don't feel like a unique little snowflake anymore.
Isn't it awful when you find out your meme has been cheating on you? I hate that.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » September 14th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Isn't The Book Thief Steampunk? Am I thinking of the right book?

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » September 14th, 2010, 5:50 pm

No. Because the Book Thief was based during WWII. It's definately NOT Steampunk.

But I do recommend it because it made me cry.

I correct because I don't think it was Germany. It was...oh Lord...I don't remember the exact place. But it was told from the point of view of Death so it made it that much more interesting.

[goes to look up at Amazon]

Wait, yes, it was Germany. Molching, Germany.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » September 14th, 2010, 10:22 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:No. Because the Book Thief was based during WWII. It's definately NOT Steampunk.

But I do recommend it because it made me cry.

I correct because I don't think it was Germany. It was...oh Lord...I don't remember the exact place. But it was told from the point of view of Death so it made it that much more interesting.

[goes to look up at Amazon]

Wait, yes, it was Germany. Molching, Germany.

Oh god do I love this book. I've convinced my husband to teach it in his senior English class this year.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » September 15th, 2010, 3:20 am

Clockwork Angel is most definitely Steampunk (and quite a lot better than the Mortal Instruments trilogy).
Soulless (the first in the Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger, His dark Materials by Philip Pullman are another two good ones.

By the way, even though Soulless has a lady in a very Victorian era dress on the front, it seemed everyone at WorldCon was reading it. Just in case that type of thing turns you off.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Quill

Post by Quill » September 15th, 2010, 6:05 pm

Heather B wrote: Soulless (the first in the Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger, His dark Materials by Philip Pullman are another two good ones.

By the way, even though Soulless has a lady in a very Victorian era dress on the front, it seemed everyone at WorldCon was reading it. Just in case that type of thing turns you off.
Yep, and according to Kristen Nelson on her Pub Rants blog a week ago, the latest in that series, BLAMELESS, just hit the NY Times bestseller list. (Kristin is Gail Carriger's agent). Steampunk plus vampires and werewolves, and Templars, hitting on multiple popular cylinders there.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » September 15th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:I fall in with the YA zombie stuff crowd. It makes me a little nervous that so many people are writing about it. I wish I would have finished sooner, but my first draft 2 years ago was terrible and required a whole new rewrite. Haha, I don't feel like a unique little snowflake anymore.
Yes, but your zombie snowflake is shinier than the others because you knew better than to submit it two years ago when it wasn't ready. : )

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » September 15th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Down the well wrote:
Yes, but your zombie snowflake is shinier than the others because you knew better than to submit it two years ago when it wasn't ready. : )
*Shines*

:-)

Margo

Post by Margo » September 25th, 2010, 8:54 pm

FYI, Locus magazine has a steampunk focus for their current issue. Several industry interviews and a few adverts for new steampunk releases.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

steve

Post by steve » September 25th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Margo wrote:I read recently that Angry Robot is going to reprint some of the classics, including Jeter, if I recall correctly.
Saw that it's coming out next April, paperback for $7.99

This is the cover. Outstanding.

Read one of the best stories by Borges.

Margo

Post by Margo » September 25th, 2010, 11:37 pm

steve wrote: This is the cover. Outstanding.

Quite outstanding. Someone made proper sacrifice to the god of covers.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » September 26th, 2010, 5:23 pm

I don't know how many people around here are into comics at all, but I read quite a lot of them and am particularly drawn to the indie publishing houses. Steampunk, I think, does very well when paired with art because it can be so visual and beautiful and dirty. There's a new, short series (only 4 comics long) called "Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island" by Warren Ellis, illustrated by Raulo Caceres, published by Avatar. The art work is gorgeous, only 2 of the comics have come out so far, but I really, really enjoy them. They are very steampunky-London-Jack-the-Ripper kind of feeling with air pirates and cool tech.

Anyway, it's a great quick read if you like comics and cool artwork and steampunk.