The Reading Room - New Book Social Networking Site

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Nathan Bransford

The Reading Room - New Book Social Networking Site

Post by Nathan Bransford » August 27th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Hi everyone, I came across The Reading Room recently, which is a new book social networking site where you can connect with friends and create reading groups online. It also has links to books you can read for free online.

Anyone else have a favorite book social networking site?

wetair

Re: The Reading Room - New Book Social Networking Site

Post by wetair » August 27th, 2010, 7:31 pm

I use librarything most often. though i also have an account at goodreads and shelfari. been a long time since i've been to either goodreads or shelfair though

Ishta

Post by Ishta » August 27th, 2010, 7:37 pm

I use Goodreads, but that's mostly because I was pointed to it early in the game and I don't like switching around a lot. And I don't have time to maintain/visit more than one on a regular basis.

mojo25

Post by mojo25 » August 28th, 2010, 11:19 pm

I like library thing because you can put up a profile, your own person library with covers and all kinds of tags, there are lots of groups, you can get free review copies (though they go fast)--lots to see and do. Check it out...www.librarything.com. It helps me keep track of the books I read. Also, a section for Library Thing authors...

rose

Post by rose » August 29th, 2010, 2:42 pm

I dipped a toe into the Reading Room forum. They were all snippy about newbies wanting to know which way to the free ebooks. (Fortunately, I read that before I asked the same question.)

I haven't looked at the other social networking sites, but I would like to see one where new authors are encouraged to post their work as a freebie ebook for a limited time period, while they are submitting queries and partials and waiting for representation. We e-reader owners are a voracious bunch. A good book will be read and the author remembered. And a not-quite-ready book will be dumped after the first telling pages.

rose
Follow my work at Smashwords:

Riders on the Rez http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/35697
The Good-Bye Man