Book: OTHER PEOPLE'S REJECTION LETTERS

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Holly

Book: OTHER PEOPLE'S REJECTION LETTERS

Post by Holly » June 21st, 2010, 7:47 pm

Here's the intro from an entertaining CNN interview with author Bill Shapiro about his new book OTHER PEOPLE'S REJECTION LETTERS. The author says the Museum of Modern Art rejected Andy Warhol and the U.S. Army threw out Jimi Hendrix because he couldn't carry on an intelligent conversation and all he did was talk about his guitar.

(CNN) -- The first rejection came in a letter on his camp bunk bed. It took only four words to sting the little boy's heart.
"Billy, I like Jason."
More than three decades later, the young camper Billy -- Bill Shapiro -- would take the concept of rejection and compile the book "Other People's Rejection Letters." Shapiro, who is also the editor-in-chief of Life.com, released his book last month, which examines the pitfalls, pain and even unintentional upsides of rejection letters from schools, careers and personal relationships.

Continued here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/21/re ... tml?hpt=C2

Mira

Re: Book: OTHER PEOPLE'S REJECTION LETTERS

Post by Mira » June 22nd, 2010, 11:27 am

Cool. I love this stuff. I take rejection too much to heart - it can literally stop me from writing. Stuff like this helps me trust myself more.

Thanks. :)

GeeGee55

Re: Book: OTHER PEOPLE'S REJECTION LETTERS

Post by GeeGee55 » June 24th, 2010, 12:09 am

This title reminds me of a time when I received another writer's rejection letter in the envelope that included my form rejection. His letter was a personalized one from the editor but..as I recall, it said the writing was not yet strong enough, many scenes were overwritten and the disturbing mysogenistic (where's my dictionary?) tone of the work caused them to reject it. Ouch! I didn't know what to do, so I called the publisher and said..Hey, I've got this guy's letter. Embarrassing for us all. I'll bet he never knew.