Funniest book you've read?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Nomad0404

Re: Funniest book you've read?

Post by Nomad0404 » July 20th, 2010, 11:36 am

Mira wrote:Terry Pratchett - Discworld series. Making Money is his best. He's not just funny, he's brilliant.

For comics (since you mentioned Larsen), I thought the early Dilbert were hilarious. Also, Calvin and Hobbes.

Alot of people like Dave Barry and Sedaris as humorists, but I haven't read them.

If you find more - let me know. :)
I have to slightly disagree Going Postal is funnier than Making Money. I think the sequel relies too much on the first book.

However, most of Pratchett's stuff is pretty funny in places and he is incredibly smart. I have trouble picking my favs but I'm a big fan of the Tiffany Aching series.

If the OP is looking for something to read try Good Omens.

Phil

bcomet

Post by bcomet » July 20th, 2010, 12:45 pm

I have read many funny books, but the one that comes up in my mind is Terry Pratchett Soul Music.
I laughed out loud in bed every night I read it (waking my husband up!) along with many of his other books!

AND THEN: I had the GOOD FORTUNE of attending Terry Pratchett hosted at Borders in Ann Arbor a number of years ago.

Several hundred people were in attendance. All of them excited beyond belief. No one thought anyone else had ever even heard of Terry Pratchett. People came from bordering states. It was like underground cult knowledge.

He came into the room, not quite in a pair of pajamas and said something along the lines of "Oh my! My entire North American Fan Club is here!"

He was a short gnome-like guy, happy as all get out.

Robin William eat your heart out. This guy was the FUNNIEST man I have ever heard speak. We were literally holding our sides together.
It was priceless.

AMSchilling

Post by AMSchilling » July 21st, 2010, 8:54 am

Douglas Adams was the master at cracking people up. One book that reminded me of his humor, and I chuckle every time I read, is "Good Omens" by Terry Prachet and Neil Gaiman. That's probably one of the best I've read in a long time. What can I say - I love the absurd.
-Amy

"Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open." - Stephen King

http://www.amschilling.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Schill ... 9869525150

One of the Mad Ones

Post by One of the Mad Ones » July 21st, 2010, 1:20 pm

There's a hilarious short story by TC Boyle called "The Lie" about a guy who doesn't want to go to work, so he uses his infant as an excuse to stay home, claiming that it's sick. But the next day, he doesn't want to go to work again. The lie gets bigger and bigger until it gets fantastically out of control.

bcomet

Post by bcomet » August 4th, 2010, 11:56 am

Funny books have been lifelines at times. There is nothing like one in the middle of a tough spell in one's life to take you away and make you laugh.

I don't know if it is the funniest book, but I LOVED it:

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

kymberry

Post by kymberry » August 4th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Okay, I found this one really funny and I even go back to it occaisionally when I need a feel good easy read. Summer of the Dragon by Elizabeth Peters. Also her Amelia Peabody Mysterys are light and fun too. Slap your knee funny? I don't know but I did laugh out loud a few times.
And, Dean Koontz's Life Expectancy, yes there is murder and mayhem but the characters themselves are hilarious. I'm sure I even slapped my knee on this one.

Emily J

Post by Emily J » August 4th, 2010, 1:21 pm

I agree with Douglas Adams, and Roald Dahl (the Twits was too funny) and I love me some Calvin and Hobbes (Attack of the Deranged Killer Monster Snow Goons was definitely my favorite)

But does anyone remember the Wayside School books? WAYSIDE SCHOOL IS FALLING DOWN, WAYSIDE SCHOOL GETS A LITTLE STRANGER...

I LOVED those books as a kid and the absurdist humor.