Which book have you read the most number of times?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
sierramcconnell

Re: Which book have you read the most number of times?

Post by sierramcconnell » August 26th, 2010, 1:54 pm

When I was in third grade, I remember I had a book of short stories that I'm almost certain was named "A Rainbow in My Pocket" because that was one of the stories. I can not find this book anywhere, but I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could.

It had a story about the princess with the shrieking hair that only quieted when she played piano because she was cursed. She was cursed because she had been naughty and cut her cat's whiskers as a child and he cursed her that it would only stop when the whiskers grew back.

It had a story about a boy who turned into glass for cursing too much.

A story about a monster in paintings that I remember used to scare me because of the picture that accompanied it!

I have a bookmark that I kept with the book and it's all faded and wrinkled now. I still have the bookmark, but not the book. I wish I did. I loved that book. I read it over and over and over again. My parents couldn't understand why.

I can't believe that over twenty years later I still remember those stories! XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

djpaterson

Post by djpaterson » September 4th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Stephen King's The Stand - four times over the last twenty years (although the last two were the unabridged edition). Oh, and once on audio book too. Does that count as five?

ninafromnorway

Post by ninafromnorway » September 5th, 2010, 5:39 am

I think the book is translated to "The crazies". In Norwegian it's directly translated to "The crazy house" It's written by Karin Fossum, and I have read it four times and studied it in depth once. I don't know why I like this novel so much, there isn't really anything special about it. It is about a teenager called Hajna, who throws herself through a window and ends up in a mental institution. It reminds me a lot of the film "Girl, Interrupted", in the way that it's all about the life inside a mental hospital in the 1970's. It could be all the other crazy people we get to know in the book, or how Hajna copes with the life inside those walls.

I would gladly read it again!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

sally_apokedak

Post by sally_apokedak » September 5th, 2010, 11:41 pm

I've read the Narnia books probably eight times. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase seven or eight times. Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit maybe four times. And the little House books and The Hiding Place probably three times. Some of these, you read over when you become a parent because you have to share them with your kids.

Emerald_Resonance

Post by Emerald_Resonance » September 9th, 2010, 10:29 am

For me, the book with the greatest number of re-reads is The Hobbit. I think I've reread it five or more times. It's just so fun and easy to get into, and whenever I finish I want to start reading it again.

After that is Little Women, and The Last Unicorn. The latter is my favorite book and closest to my bed, so whenever I can't sleep, I'll flip open to a random page and start reading. It's the kind of book where you can start reading from anywhere and still enjoy it.

dpwriter

Post by dpwriter » September 13th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Childhood books would be Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham.

As an adult I've read Coming Through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje several times because of its sensuality and darkness and also his collection of poems There's a Trick With a Knife I'm Learning to Do. Even the title is amazing! I want to reread Henry Miller's Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronmous Bosch, but someone borrowed it and didn't return it (must remember to keep a record of who I lend what to!) And the real bummer is it was from the Henry Miller Library and Museum in BIG SUR!! bummer....

Netti

Post by Netti » September 15th, 2010, 8:48 am

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

So far as books go, that was my first love and every time I read it, it's like I'm reading it for the first time. I still experience every feeling the way I did the very first time I read it.
"It's kind of shocking to hear Toby called a babe; sort of like calling God a studmuffin."
- Margaret Atwood, Year of the Flood

http://myscientificattempt.blogspot.com/

theepicwinner

Post by theepicwinner » September 16th, 2010, 3:41 pm

The Harry Potter series. About 7-8 times.
"If you can think it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it" - Evan Taubenfeld

Don't give up on your dreams.

bglee

Post by bglee » September 16th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Into The Out Of by Alan Dean Foster

My wife has read it almost as many times as I have. We still make jokes when we see old tire rubber on the side of the highway. (If you've read it, you'll know what I'm talking about.)

sakura

Post by sakura » September 17th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and Sabriel by Garth Nix. I've been rereading both of those since I was a teenager.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » September 18th, 2010, 12:53 am

I'm actually not a re-reader, unless you can call someone who has re-read one book a re-reader. The book I've read the most number of times is Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier. I only read it two times, though.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » September 20th, 2010, 9:35 am

i would have to say Lord of the Rings. I used to read it every summer, for many years.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » September 20th, 2010, 1:25 pm

I'm with Lord of the Rings too. Read them probably four times. Now if only I could find my copy of The Fellowship, I'd start reading them again. :)

dgaughran

Post by dgaughran » October 16th, 2010, 1:56 pm

I rarely read anything twice, but two books I keep returning to are:

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Birds Without Wings - Louis de Bernières
Image   Image Image   Image <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital

adam.purple

Post by adam.purple » October 19th, 2010, 9:40 pm

I would say The Fountainhead. I return to it every few years.