Which book have you read the most number of times?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Ishta

Re: Which book have you read the most number of times?

Post by Ishta » May 16th, 2010, 12:51 am

I remembered the other day that when I was a kid, I read TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING and SUPERFUDGE countless times. I mean, I can still quote from them. It wasn't until I grew up and had other draws on my time (like my kids, and my house) that I kind of stopped rereading.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 17th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Ishta wrote:I remembered the other day that when I was a kid, I read TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING and SUPERFUDGE countless times. I mean, I can still quote from them. It wasn't until I grew up and had other draws on my time (like my kids, and my house) that I kind of stopped rereading.
Oh wow, I really loved those books.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » May 19th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:
Ishta wrote:I remembered the other day that when I was a kid, I read TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING and SUPERFUDGE countless times. I mean, I can still quote from them. It wasn't until I grew up and had other draws on my time (like my kids, and my house) that I kind of stopped rereading.
Oh wow, I really loved those books.
Yeah, that moment when Fudge swallowed the turtle was great for so many reasons. On one hand, I could identify with the big brother - my little sister was always getting into and messing up my stuff. And on the other hand, that someone would actually eat a pet? Hilarious! And both my sons have, at one time or another, pretended to be dogs by trying to eat off of the floor. Judy Blume really "got it". I can hardly wait until my 6-year-old is a little older, and I can give him my old copies.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » May 19th, 2010, 11:38 pm

BethTH wrote:LITTLE WOMEN, LITTLE MEN, JO'S BOYS (all by Louisa May Alcott),
I liked those a lot, too; I read LITTLE WOMEN a couple of times. I was also a big fan of the LITTLE HOUSE series, and I got them all for my kids. (They're in the attic with some of my old books, waiting for my kids to get a little older.)

Jessica Peter

Post by Jessica Peter » May 21st, 2010, 2:34 am

I don't think anything could beat the LJ Smith books I read repeatedly as a pre-teen and teen. That includes Vampire Diaries (the original trilogy of THREE books, and later the fourth), the Dark Visions trilogy, and the Night World series. Her Forbidden Game series ranks next highest.

Beyond them it's Mercedes Lackey's The Fire Rose from her Elemental Masters series (re-done Beauty and the Beast), The Hobbit, Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, Club Dead by Charlaine Harris (my favourite in the series), and one other that suddenly slipped my mind when I tried to write it. Hm.
http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/JessicaPeter1
Currently querying HUNT, YA Urban Fantasy & writing a post-apocalyptic romance

deepsesh

Post by deepsesh » May 27th, 2010, 7:14 am

I've read the Mallory Towers and Five Find Outers series over a million times. Though not so much now... when i was younger. They were my absolute favourite.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » May 28th, 2010, 10:09 am

The Scent of Magic by Andre Norton. I have read it 7 times. :)

CV

writeaskew

Post by writeaskew » May 31st, 2010, 8:53 pm

I suddenly feel like a real dork. My top three favorite novels I've reread in double digits. I think I'm on 13 for Gone with the Wind, I know I've read Pride and Prejudice at least 15 times and I've lost count on The Count of Monte Cristo. Suffice to say i had to buy a new copy of it because the old one split in half and I duct-taped it, and then the duct-tape died and I gave up and bought a new copy.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 10th, 2010, 1:15 am

I suddenly feel like a real dork. My top three favorite novels I've reread in double digits
Don't worry, you are not alone. I've read the entire LotR trilogy 13 times. And when I say entire, I mean I did not skip descriptions, or prologues. I read ALL of it. The only other novel I've read more than 4-5 times is mine. But we all have to and I don't think that counts!
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

February

Post by February » June 10th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Hitchhikers, definitely. Runner-up: Jane Eyre.

pensees

Post by pensees » June 10th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

I enjoyed the Magic Kingdom for Sale- Sold! books by Terry Brooks. Maybe I'll have to check out his Shannara series as well.

Marjorie

Post by Marjorie » June 11th, 2010, 12:56 am

I have read "On the Road," by Jack Kerouac, many times. I keep reading Kerouac's books over and over.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » June 16th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Another Outlander reader here. I've read it three or four times. The same goes for Eye of the Needle. They're both reliably good reads with lots of tension - even the third or fourth time around.

jml2

Post by jml2 » June 17th, 2010, 7:17 am

I re-read the books that have an atmosphere that I love and want to re-experience - eg. Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman.
Or has a character or relationship that I love and want to re-experience that. - eg. Wuthering Heights
Books heavy on plot even though I thoroughly enjoyed them won't be re-read.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » June 23rd, 2010, 12:16 am

I'll admit to it - Harry Potter. I've read the entire series way too many times to count. (I think the first four books were over 20 times) because when they were out they were literally the only thing I would read. The scary thing is; mum's read them more...
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/