YA Horror

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
eringayles

YA Horror

Post by eringayles » March 19th, 2010, 6:37 am

Can anyone recommend titles and/or authors in this genre. I've read some that were very disappointing. Liked 'Bones of Faerie'.
Ta.

maybegenius

Re: YA Horror

Post by maybegenius » March 19th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I just finished BLEEDING VIOLET, which I thought had some horror elements, though it's not really classified as horror. I believe it's classified as paranormal, but there's certainly murder, gore, and mental twists.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 19th, 2010, 9:31 pm

eringayles wrote:Can anyone recommend titles and/or authors in this genre. I've read some that were very disappointing. Liked 'Bones of Faerie'.
Ta.
Thanks.
I've rung my library and they're reserving it for me.

beacon22

Post by beacon22 » March 23rd, 2010, 7:06 pm

Check out Pricker Boy by Scott Whinnem. It's more a ghost story, but perhaps it has some of the elements you're looking for. Christopher Pike used to write good horror novels when I was young. They were first more teen slasher type books but then he started to write some horror.
Come on over to my blog and lurk a little!

http://www.freckle-head.blogspot.com

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 24th, 2010, 4:22 am

beacon22 wrote:Check out Pricker Boy by Scott Whinnem. It's more a ghost story, but perhaps it has some of the elements you're looking for. Christopher Pike used to write good horror novels when I was young. They were first more teen slasher type books but then he started to write some horror.
Thanks, Beacon ; will check it out. Regards

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » March 25th, 2010, 12:56 pm

I liked Lauren Myracle's BLISS, which came out last year. It takes place in a Southern boarding school in the 1960s. Very creepy and well-written. Myracle's more of a YA chick-lit author, but I wish she'd do more horror!

I haven't read this one yet, but I heard that Simon Holt's THE DEVOURING is very good, as well.
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 27th, 2010, 4:28 am

Harper Karcz wrote:I liked Lauren Myracle's BLISS, which came out last year. It takes place in a Southern boarding school in the 1960s. Very creepy and well-written. Myracle's more of a YA chick-lit author, but I wish she'd do more horror!

I haven't read this one yet, but I heard that Simon Holt's THE DEVOURING is very good, as well.
Thanks! Love creepy!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 2nd, 2010, 11:32 pm

I've started reading The Devouring and I think it is pretty excellent so far.

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender is, so far, my favorite YA ghost story. It creeped me out a whole bunch.

Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz is definitely on my horror-to-read list. I can't tell you it is good though. It looks good. It looks great. I have it sitting next to me right this moment. But I have not read it myself yet. As I understand it, it is kind of like the movie Session 9 in YA book form
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

eringayles

Post by eringayles » April 3rd, 2010, 1:55 am

Sommer Leigh wrote:I've started reading The Devouring and I think it is pretty excellent so far.

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender is, so far, my favorite YA ghost story. It creeped me out a whole bunch.

Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz is definitely on my horror-to-read list. I can't tell you it is good though. It looks good. It looks great. I have it sitting next to me right this moment. But I have not read it myself yet. As I understand it, it is kind of like the movie Session 9 in YA book form
Thank you. I've got quite a few to look at, but still, there don't seem to be lots around. I'll have to write one!!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 6th, 2010, 10:49 am

eringayles wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:I've started reading The Devouring and I think it is pretty excellent so far.

Thank you. I've got quite a few to look at, but still, there don't seem to be lots around. I'll have to write one!!
I think that's a great idea! I want to read it when you're done!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.