What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
JohnDurvin

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by JohnDurvin » February 21st, 2013, 9:47 am

I know I'm supposed to be reading new books, but I seem to be getting into the early parts of the cosmic horror genre--Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, all those guys. This isn't good, because my WIP really doesn't need to be influenced by them--Huck Finn and Paul Bunyan don't need to go on a dream-quest to unknown Kadath--but first I discovered Lord Dunsany, and he leads pretty naturally into them. If only there were more imitators for Carl Sandburg's "Rootabaga Stories"...!

But you know, honestly, after writing that bit about Finn and Bunyan, it actually does sound pretty good. So never mind!

EDIT: I also just found an online archive of the complete run of "Little Nemo". I've read some of McCay's "Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend", but this stuff is crazy. Among other things, I wonder if he was aware of the psychosexual imagery of a young boy repeatedly dreaming that there was a beautiful princess that had selected him to be her (quote) "playmate".
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » May 23rd, 2013, 12:09 am

Just finished reading ONE BREATH AWAY by Heather Gudenkauf. It was a pretty good read. It takes an interesting approach to POV in that all five major characters speak in the first person. Each chapter is done from one person's POV so we know everything that's going on from the way they see things. It worked well, at least for me. I highly recommend this book.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » August 1st, 2013, 3:48 am

Just finished ODD INTERLUDE by Dean Koontz. It was OK. Started out great, then sorta went downhill. I read another of his Odd Thomas books, BROTHER ODD, which I thought was much more entertaining. Starting in on ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card. I've read it before years ago, but I hardly remember it. I want to read it again before the movie comes out.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

abc

Post by abc » April 16th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Laini Taylor! Dreams of Gods and Monsters. Really enjoyed this series.

Tom

Post by Tom » May 15th, 2014, 10:31 am

I am a little ashamed to say that I am reading the Hobbit for the first time (I am 28). I have been told over and over to read this book since I was 6 years old but have put it off for so long. Despite being a children's book, I find it very interesting, especially since I can see similarities with Beowulf, which Tolkien studied in great detail.
_Always meant to write a book, still on my to do list. looking for inspiration and motivation - how do i get started? Currently work as a copy writer for a translation agency http://www.empowerlinguatranslation.com/

hesperus_lux

Post by hesperus_lux » September 4th, 2015, 1:23 pm

I just finished "The Windup Girl" which is pretty good. It takes place in an interesting and plausible scifi reality. It won the Hugo and the Nebula!

Now I am reading "Interview with a Vampire" for the first time. I am about 2/3 of the way through and I gotta say that this reads like literature. Rice's sentences in this book are florid, musical, and impressive. I hear that the other books use simpler language but are page turners. I am looking forward to experiencing this contrast as I continue in the series.
“Nothing is exactly as it seems, nor is it otherwise.”
- Alan Watts

Peterloom

Post by Peterloom » October 6th, 2015, 3:04 am

Hi everyone, I'm new so I've been checking out the forums to see what I can find to read.

Right now I'm reading a book for a new author a friend told me about. The author is M.R. Chavez. Looks like he is just getting started with writing books. The book is called The Last Umbra.

It's pretty entertaining and something I would never think of. It's an Adventure, action-thriller. It is focused on the admiration for the Japanese warrior class. This book tells of not a pride filled Samurai, but instead, a ninja assassin on a quest in gold-rush era California.

If anyone want to check it out you can find it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Umbra-M-R-Ch ... B00W01KUD4

longknife

Post by longknife » October 7th, 2015, 6:05 pm

The Life of Father Consag, a Jesuit of 1740 in Lower California - makes one wonder how they lived and survived in times and places like that. It's hard enough to live there today.
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

SamuelStokes

Post by SamuelStokes » October 10th, 2015, 8:28 pm

I just finished Troll Mountain one of Matthew Reilly's short stories. Was a great read.
Author of 'A Coronation of Kings'

Connect with me via the following:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SamuelCStokes

My Author Profiles
http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Stokes/e/B0161CBT5U
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3 ... uel_Stokes

norma_bailey

Post by norma_bailey » April 18th, 2019, 8:44 am

Now I re-read my favorite book A Night to remember and again I cannot hold back tears, I am ready to re-read this book every year and always cry the same way as the first time. Magic book, sad story, beautiful plot.

amyhimesam

Post by amyhimesam » November 12th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Marla Warren wrote: December 10th, 2009, 12:07 pm What are you reading now?

I’m reading The Invisible Hook: The Hidden Economics of Pirates by Peter T. Leeson.

The book examines the economic aspects of the Golden Age of Piracy, from 1670 to 1725. Fascinating!
book 1 of Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, a bit harder to read than other YA stuff I've read, but beginning to get interesting.

denisw

Post by denisw » November 14th, 2019, 5:17 am

I'm reading the Principles by Ray Dalio now. It's amazing.

PlatisUkraine

Post by PlatisUkraine » March 29th, 2021, 3:04 pm

I dont read much? but now reading interesting book about food.

jackwyatt

Post by jackwyatt » April 23rd, 2021, 12:38 am

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I are loving it!!!!

karinda

Post by karinda » May 7th, 2021, 1:17 pm

I live in the UK and I'm reading "The Red Queen (Cousins War) by Philippa Gregory." It's very well written and brings the characters in the Tudor period to life. It tells the story of the child-bride of Edmund Tudor, Margaret Beauford, who, although widowed when she was still a teenager, plotted to infiltrate the house of York pretending to be a loyal friend and servant in order to ensure that her only son, Henry Tudor, will become King of England.