Sold my soul to Twitter

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Writecastlesinthesky

Re: Sold my soul to Twitter

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 2nd, 2011, 9:29 am

This morning I stamped both feet, woke my downstairs neighbors and .......... registered on Twitter. I'm not nervous like Trixie. But then again, yes, I think I am nervous. I would like to keep my life, thanks very much. All I've heard is that Twitter sucks it all up like a dirt devil.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » August 4th, 2011, 8:30 am

Writecastlesinthesky wrote:This morning I stamped both feet, woke my downstairs neighbors and .......... registered on Twitter. I'm not nervous like Trixie. But then again, yes, I think I am nervous. I would like to keep my life, thanks very much. All I've heard is that Twitter sucks it all up like a dirt devil.
Another victim!

It can be a time waster. Sometimes your feed is full of so many interesting posts and conversations that you can't bear to pull away, lest you miss something earth-shattering. Other times, it's quite boring.

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 4th, 2011, 9:26 am

Silly next question. How do I find people?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » August 4th, 2011, 10:13 am

In the search field at the top, you can type in a person user name. Or, if its a celebrity, just type in their name (though you'll have to wade through a bunch of fake accounts). A bunch of us have listed our user names in previous comments, so that's a start. If you search through our followers and the people we're following, you can find the rest.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » August 4th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Cookie wrote:In the search field at the top, you can type in a person user name. Or, if its a celebrity, just type in their name (though you'll have to wade through a bunch of fake accounts). A bunch of us have listed our user names in previous comments, so that's a start. If you search through our followers and the people we're following, you can find the rest.
You can also take a look at the Social Media Presence thread. I think most of us put our twitter name there.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Ishta

Post by Ishta » August 6th, 2011, 1:37 am

I'm @IshtaWrites

And as an addition to the discussion on hashtags, there are some that are used for regular weekly conversations that happen at a specific time: #PBLitChat is every other Tuesday morning at 6AM Eastern; #YALitChat happens every Wednesday evening at 9 (or is it 10?) Eastern; #MGLitChat is every Thursday evening, but I keep missing it, so I'm not sure of the time (prob. 9 or 10 PM); #kidlitchat is every Tuesday evening, at about the same time.

To follow a conversation using the hashtag, you could do a search for the hashtag in Twitter during the conversation and keep hitting the "new tweets" button, but that's not very efficient, and you can't tweet anything to contribute unless you go back to your homepage. I downloaded TweetDeck (SUPER easy, go to www.tweetdeck.com for instructions - super, SUPER easy, I'm a caveperson and I had no problems) and I use that - the new tweets show up on your screen as soon as they're entered.

Most importantly, be yourself and have fun!

Writecastlesinthesky

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 6th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Ishta wrote:I'm @IshtaWrites

And as an addition to the discussion on hashtags, there are some that are used for regular weekly conversations that happen at a specific time: #PBLitChat is every other Tuesday morning at 6AM Eastern; #YALitChat happens every Wednesday evening at 9 (or is it 10?) Eastern; #MGLitChat is every Thursday evening, but I keep missing it, so I'm not sure of the time (prob. 9 or 10 PM); #kidlitchat is every Tuesday evening, at about the same time.

To follow a conversation using the hashtag, you could do a search for the hashtag in Twitter during the conversation and keep hitting the "new tweets" button, but that's not very efficient, and you can't tweet anything to contribute unless you go back to your homepage. I downloaded TweetDeck (SUPER easy, go to http://www.tweetdeck.com for instructions - super, SUPER easy, I'm a caveperson and I had no problems) and I use that - the new tweets show up on your screen as soon as they're entered.

Most importantly, be yourself and have fun!
Thank you! I just set LitChat up on my Outlook Calender. What a great idea.