Thinking of starting a blog.....but a question

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Craig J.

Re: Thinking of starting a blog.....but a question

Post by Craig J. » July 15th, 2011, 11:29 am

Thanks for the input, GKJeyasingham. It's assuring to know that you've found blogging to be a lot of fun. When there's pressure to blog it's easy to conceive of the whole thing as being a chore. Still, like you said, I'm a little concerned about finding things to write about. I've been thinking that I might start drafting and cataloging some possible blog posts so that when my curiosity reaches that tipping point it might be a little less overwhelming when I'm starting off.

meganstirler

Post by meganstirler » July 15th, 2011, 10:26 pm

What a timely topic - I just started a blog for my writing yesterday. I've been posting notes on Facebook for a few months but I wanted to create something more formal. I did it as a way to hold myself accountable for progress. I'm at home with two little kids all day and it's just so easy to put off writing... that's why my novel has been in the re-write stage for two years! I figured a blog was one way to keep myself motivated to write and study and research and it was a way to record my work. I hope I'll get some traffic and feedback but so far my mother-in-law is the only comment and she was just being argumentative.

I've really enjoyed reading all these responses so thank you for posting this question!
Meg
meganstirler.wordpress.com

Ishta

Post by Ishta » August 6th, 2011, 1:51 am

I blog mostly for the relationships, and because I want to give back, and also to learn more. It's very time-consuming for me, but I've made real friends through blogging, so I value it.

The important thing to remember is that it's not about your work, it's about you. If you post all the time about your book, your events, your book, your article, and you never go to other people's blogs, nobody will come to yours. I have a feeling that this isn't something you're apt to do, but it still needs to be said. Don't focus on hits and follower numbers; just focus on your content, and on being part of the community.

Treat blogging (reading, commenting, posting, etc.) the way you treat these forums, be yourself, give of yourself, and you'll be alright.

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 11th, 2011, 2:15 pm

I was glad to see this thread. It answered some the questions I've been having myself. I've been considering starting a blog, but didn't know that much about it. I love how helpful this community is. It makes me regret that I spent so long not even checking out the forum here when I read the blog regularly.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage