the setting and publishing grounds

Questions for the resident (former) agent
ThePiper

the setting and publishing grounds

Post by ThePiper » March 22nd, 2013, 11:36 pm

My novel is set in the UK, and the grammar and the spelllings throughout are British English. The subject matter is universal, but much of the storyline involves happenings in Scotland and England during the late 1980's. It very much involves the young and innocent protaganist's mistaken dive into the seedy London tabloid press of the time. Should I look for an agent in the UK? How does this work? I am afraid that I would lose an agent in the States if I lost them in translation. The plot and the characters are solid and interesting but maybe the British references would put off an agent and or a publisher here.

Nathan Bransford

Re: the setting and publishing grounds

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 31st, 2013, 8:02 pm

ThePiper wrote:My novel is set in the UK, and the grammar and the spelllings throughout are British English. The subject matter is universal, but much of the storyline involves happenings in Scotland and England during the late 1980's. It very much involves the young and innocent protaganist's mistaken dive into the seedy London tabloid press of the time. Should I look for an agent in the UK? How does this work? I am afraid that I would lose an agent in the States if I lost them in translation. The plot and the characters are solid and interesting but maybe the British references would put off an agent and or a publisher here.
Sorry for the delay in my response! I missed this question for some reason.

Ultimately I think this depends a lot on your core audience. Here's a post on that: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/12 ... rseas.html

Nathan Bransford

Re: the setting and publishing grounds

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 31st, 2013, 8:02 pm

ThePiper wrote:My novel is set in the UK, and the grammar and the spelllings throughout are British English. The subject matter is universal, but much of the storyline involves happenings in Scotland and England during the late 1980's. It very much involves the young and innocent protaganist's mistaken dive into the seedy London tabloid press of the time. Should I look for an agent in the UK? How does this work? I am afraid that I would lose an agent in the States if I lost them in translation. The plot and the characters are solid and interesting but maybe the British references would put off an agent and or a publisher here.
Sorry for the delay in my response! I missed this question for some reason.

Ultimately I think this depends a lot on your core audience. Here's a post on that: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/12 ... rseas.html