Is this idea good & writing contest

Questions for the resident (former) agent
jaimee1999

Is this idea good & writing contest

Post by jaimee1999 » January 20th, 2013, 11:45 am

Hello! Ok I finished this book and I edited it and everything, but I'm not that old yet. I'm still in my early teens and I don't want a publisher not read it because of this. I entered a writing contest on Kobo. (100 word short story) and if we get in the top 20 we can send in a 3000 word part of your novel. Do you think this is a good idea? My novel (not the short) is like a horror movie (teens get trapped and then die off) it's really gross and I like gross. But at the end everything changes in a huge twist! It's about 200 pages and 45, 000 words. Anyways I dont know what I'm asking, but if you can just tell me if all this sounds good. I'm just not experienced and I don't even know if I edited it right! My parents won't read it, I dont have money to pay an editor on account I dont have a job....... among other things. Any ideas?

HELP!!!!!!! Thanks:) :D :D :P

Nathan Bransford

Re: Is this idea good & writing contest

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 20th, 2013, 12:19 pm

jaimee1999 wrote:Hello! Ok I finished this book and I edited it and everything, but I'm not that old yet. I'm still in my early teens and I don't want a publisher not read it because of this. I entered a writing contest on Kobo. (100 word short story) and if we get in the top 20 we can send in a 3000 word part of your novel. Do you think this is a good idea? My novel (not the short) is like a horror movie (teens get trapped and then die off) it's really gross and I like gross. But at the end everything changes in a huge twist! It's about 200 pages and 45, 000 words. Anyways I dont know what I'm asking, but if you can just tell me if all this sounds good. I'm just not experienced and I don't even know if I edited it right! My parents won't read it, I dont have money to pay an editor on account I dont have a job....... among other things. Any ideas?

HELP!!!!!!! Thanks:) :D :D :P
Here's a post on everything you need to know about writing contests: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/12 ... tests.html

If you want feedback on your work there are lots of places on the Internet where you can find writing/editing partners, including this forum!

Sleeping Beauty

Re: Is this idea good & writing contest

Post by Sleeping Beauty » January 21st, 2013, 8:47 am

jaimee1999 wrote: I'm just not experienced and I don't even know if I edited it right! My parents won't read it, I dont have money to pay an editor on account I dont have a job....... among other things. Any ideas?
You've hit the nail on the head, so to speak. You don't really need to spend money to become a good writer. You need experience! Which means lots and lots of writing and reading. Keep at it, and you'll soon be able to judge for yourself the quality of your craft! ;)
- Allyse