Beta Readers

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Mark.W.Carson

Beta Readers

Post by Mark.W.Carson » January 3rd, 2012, 5:47 pm

I have a question about beta readers. I posted an excerpt from my story/MS, and with some help, I have changed it, hopefully for the better. My question comes about with regard to things like exposing a story prior to publication. What pitfalls should be thought of before putting your hard work in another person's hands for review. I like to be trusting, but I want to keep myself covered at the same time.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Beta Readers

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 4th, 2012, 12:01 am

mark54g wrote:I have a question about beta readers. I posted an excerpt from my story/MS, and with some help, I have changed it, hopefully for the better. My question comes about with regard to things like exposing a story prior to publication. What pitfalls should be thought of before putting your hard work in another person's hands for review. I like to be trusting, but I want to keep myself covered at the same time.
I'm not sure that there's much cause for worry. Great books are all about execution not about the originality of an idea.

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » January 5th, 2012, 8:25 am

Thanks.

I wasn't so much worried about someone lifting the concept, but how would it look to a publisher, or anyone else, if someone else had a copy of the book, even in a much more raw form, that they could disseminate before some action could be taken against them?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 6th, 2012, 11:11 pm

mark54g wrote:Thanks.

I wasn't so much worried about someone lifting the concept, but how would it look to a publisher, or anyone else, if someone else had a copy of the book, even in a much more raw form, that they could disseminate before some action could be taken against them?
Ah, no, can't imagine this would be an issue.