Agent requests names

Questions for the resident (former) agent
popgun62

Agent requests names

Post by popgun62 » September 20th, 2011, 11:34 am

An agent that is currently reading my manuscript had his assistant ask me the names of the other agencies that are currently reading my manuscript. I was just wondering why you think an agent would want to know that? Thanks for your help.

Quill

Re: Agent requests names

Post by Quill » September 20th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Others may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is generally considered a courtesy, when an agent agrees to read your full, a sizable commitment of time on his part, that he knows what the current situation is, vis a vis other fulls that may be out there. To know, at that stage of the game, what the playing field is, in other words.

Congrats on the full request! Good luck with the project!

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » September 20th, 2011, 9:47 pm

I've never heard of an agent asking you to name who else your manuscript is with---they can ask if they have it exclusively, but to the best of my knowledge it's not okay for them to ask that you name specific names. You are certainly not required to answer beyond telling them whether or not they are the only ones reviewing your full.

Also, agents who ask for an exclusive generally have a shorter reading time, because they realize they're keeping you from giving your manuscript to others. I wouldn't recommend giving an exclusive to anyone without an estimated date of how long they'll take to get back to you. Some agents will only read a full if it's an exclusive, but most will make an exception if you already have your work with others.

Good luck. And congrats on the requests!
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

popgun62

Post by popgun62 » September 20th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info, all - I appreciate it. The thing is this, though: I told them there were agencies reading the full MS when he asked for the full. A week later his asst. sent an email asking who those agents were. That's the only reason I thought it was strange. Any ideas?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 24th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Sometimes agents will ask this to get a sense of who they're up against. You're not under any obligation to tell them, it's up to you.

popgun62

Post by popgun62 » September 25th, 2011, 1:45 pm

Thanks Nathan! I kind of figured it was something like that. I did give them the names, BTW.