Small Press/Agent Question

Questions for the resident (former) agent
beacon22

Small Press/Agent Question

Post by beacon22 » June 24th, 2011, 10:35 pm

I read your posts about small presses, but this is a more personal question.

My former agent did a wide distribution of my novel and when we terminated I contacted the agents who had also had my manuscript fulls or had offered representation. Most of them told me they probably couldn't sell the novel because most of the big houses had been contacted. However, a few agents who read the manuscript are interested in possibly signing me when I finish my work in progress. They think they'd have a better chance selling the new novel. I told them I'd have the novel done by September because I'm just doing revisions now.

Here's my question...not only did I contact these agents but also three small presses that I liked.

Now a small press wants to buy my first novel for their 2013 lineup.

I'm not sure how this affects the conversations I've had with the agents.

If I sell my book to this small press, do I let the agents know? Do I tell them first? Would this upset the agents or hurt my chances of selling the novel to them?

Hopefully this isn't confusing; I just thought asking a former agent would be a good place to go. I don't want to "bug" the other agents who are waiting on my next book, but now I'm in a strange position of having a press want to buy my first book.

Thanks!
Come on over to my blog and lurk a little!

http://www.freckle-head.blogspot.com

Nathan Bransford

Re: Small Press/Agent Question

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 25th, 2011, 12:53 pm

Definitely tell the agents you're in contact with that you have an offer from a small press and solicit their feedback both on whether they feel you should take the deal, whether they would want to represent you on the deal, and in general what their thoughts are. They'll appreciate it and it won't upset them at all.

beacon22

Re: Small Press/Agent Question

Post by beacon22 » June 25th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Awesome...thanks! That's what I wanted to know. :)
Come on over to my blog and lurk a little!

http://www.freckle-head.blogspot.com