Asking about an Author's Next Book

Questions for the resident (former) agent
rosepetal720

Asking about an Author's Next Book

Post by rosepetal720 » April 18th, 2011, 10:11 am

I'm planning on getting more involved in the writing world (going to conferences and readings and whatnot), and I'm trying to learn writer's etiquette. I know it's a faux pas to ask an author what they're currently working on (something I learned the hard way), and I was just wondering why.

By the way, if you have any resources/articles/advice on other etiquette rules, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!
Author of Sacred Fire, a historical fiction of the Vestal Virgins of Rome.
http://teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com/

Mike R

Re: Asking about an Author's Next Book

Post by Mike R » April 18th, 2011, 11:57 pm

I've never met an author unwilling to talk about their current project. Usually a single question will get them going and you can't get a word in.

Also, don't just go to conferences, join a group that puts one on and volunteer.

rosepetal720

Post by rosepetal720 » April 19th, 2011, 10:45 am

That's good advice... how do I find groups? I live in a small town. Oxford, Mississippi is about two hours away, though, so there might be something there if I knew where to look.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » April 19th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Google is your friend. 'writing groups Mississippi', 'writing conferences Mississippi', etc. In this day and age the group doesn't need to be all that close.

Rocky mountain Fiction Writers is based in Denver but I live 300 miles away. I still volunteer at conference, most stuff can be done online, then you just have to do the legwork when you get there. I started out moderating workshops, easy duty, you just intro the speaker and keep track of the time. Then I coordinated the moderators. Now I coordinate the pitch appointments. You get to meet a lot of people, newbies, published authors, agents, editors.

A bit of advice about agents and editors at conference, talk to them like people. Ask about non-writing stuff. They have homes and pets and kids and non-writing hobbies. Get to know them. be a safe place, a safe person and if they ask, tell them about your book. If you stalk them, back them into a corner or follow them into the restroom, they will hide. They are elusive creatures and bolt at the first sign of freaky stuff. However, they can be lured into the open with beer and all the better if there is a pool table handy.

Also, here comes a plug, my wife is the education chair for RMFW. She's putting on a couple all-day workshop. One in Denver and one in Grand Junction. If you're interested, go to the blog in my signature or the RMFW website.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » April 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm

One more thing, if you see an agent or editor cornered by a known pain in the... throw them a line. Walk over, say hi, and if they engage you in conversation, stay put, or better yet invite to the bar, to meet someone, etc. If they jump at it, you've just made a daring rescue and they will be grateful. But don't then become the pain, give them an out.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 21st, 2011, 1:19 am

rosepetal720 wrote:I'm planning on getting more involved in the writing world (going to conferences and readings and whatnot), and I'm trying to learn writer's etiquette. I know it's a faux pas to ask an author what they're currently working on (something I learned the hard way), and I was just wondering why.

By the way, if you have any resources/articles/advice on other etiquette rules, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!
Yeah, I have heard this - I actually wonder if it's going by the wayside though. The reason people aren't supposed to ask about the next book is because a publisher might not want it or the author might not know if the publisher will publish it, so it could be a sore subject. But these days, even if a publisher doesn't want an author's next book the author could always self-publish. So I'm guessing this faux pas will go by the wayside.

rosepetal720

Post by rosepetal720 » April 21st, 2011, 9:35 am

Interesting... how often do publishers refuse to publish books from an author they've already worked with? Even with self-publishing, that's kind of a fear of mine. I'm glad it's not a faux pas to turn around and print it myself. I thought maybe that would break loyalty.

If I wrote in two different genres and my publisher refuses to print the one genre, could I work with two publishers?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 24th, 2011, 12:43 am

rosepetal720 wrote:Interesting... how often do publishers refuse to publish books from an author they've already worked with? Even with self-publishing, that's kind of a fear of mine. I'm glad it's not a faux pas to turn around and print it myself. I thought maybe that would break loyalty.

If I wrote in two different genres and my publisher refuses to print the one genre, could I work with two publishers?
It's fairly common for a publisher to publish one book and not want to publish the next one. And then yeah, you can either move on to a new publisher or self-publish.