Better city for publishing - Boston or D.C.?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Celeste

Better city for publishing - Boston or D.C.?

Post by Celeste » April 10th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Hi Nathan,
I'm a high school senior trying to deciding between two colleges - one in Boston and one in Washington D.C. Both colleges offer strong programs in business, communications (the journalism aspect of it), and English. I would like to work in publishing and intern for a literary agency. (I didn't apply to any NYC colleges because I didn't like idea of being too close to home. I sort of regret this now, but at the time I felt that it was important for me to get out of NY.) But anyway, here's my question: Which location has more opportunities with literary agencies - Boston or Washington D.C.? I've done some research and looked up literary agencies in both cities, but I'd be interested in knowing your opinion. I know there are other cities (like NYC) that are much better for publishing, but these are the only two options I have, and the internship opportunites will definitely be an important factor in deciding which college to attend.
Thanks!

Nathan Bransford

Re: Better city for publishing - Boston or D.C.?

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 10th, 2011, 11:06 pm

I don't know that there's a better scene in one or the other, though I do know there are a few agents in both. Hmm.. Sorry, don't know if I have great guidance on this one!

Louise Curtis

Re: Better city for publishing - Boston or D.C.?

Post by Louise Curtis » April 25th, 2011, 7:45 pm

In my opinion (from Australia) it's startlingly hard to get a job in publishing, even as an unpaid intern (too many of us writers have had that idea) - so apply to all the publishers you can in both cities, and then choose (hopefully) based on an actual job.
Louise Curtis
Twitter Tales @Louise_Curtis_
Writing Tips, Steampunk, Baby Talk, and Daily Awesomeness http://twittertales.wordpress.com