Your writing

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Jaya

Your writing

Post by Jaya » December 4th, 2010, 8:38 am

Hi Nathan

I hope this question is okay. I really admire your writing and knowledge and the wealth of information you provide on this board. I'm curious if you have ever discussed your own writing process. How many novels you wrote prior to even thinking of submitting. Whether you've ever written short story or otherwise. Your most productive writing time. Do you outline and what method works for you?
If someone is brand new to this whole thing but failing to complete a piece of work (or worse, losing creativity and all confidence with it), what would be your suggestions for step 1, 2, 3. Imagine a new person, sits to a blank page. A vast amount of "potential' books to read on writing. A vast amount of information on websites. How to approach it as a new person and balance learning to write, learning about all these things, actually write (but produce), read, balance worklife, writing life, and reading time, and researching (about writing). I think I need to determine a schedule most of all.

I understand if this is redundant to a lot of what you've been asked in past. I just am curious to ask you as a writer (not as a -former- agent). Just as a person and a writer.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Your writing

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 5th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Jaya wrote:Hi Nathan

I hope this question is okay. I really admire your writing and knowledge and the wealth of information you provide on this board. I'm curious if you have ever discussed your own writing process. How many novels you wrote prior to even thinking of submitting. Whether you've ever written short story or otherwise. Your most productive writing time. Do you outline and what method works for you?
If someone is brand new to this whole thing but failing to complete a piece of work (or worse, losing creativity and all confidence with it), what would be your suggestions for step 1, 2, 3. Imagine a new person, sits to a blank page. A vast amount of "potential' books to read on writing. A vast amount of information on websites. How to approach it as a new person and balance learning to write, learning about all these things, actually write (but produce), read, balance worklife, writing life, and reading time, and researching (about writing). I think I need to determine a schedule most of all.

I understand if this is redundant to a lot of what you've been asked in past. I just am curious to ask you as a writer (not as a -former- agent). Just as a person and a writer.
Thanks for the questions, and no, I don't think this is really something I've blogged about in much depth. But these may be questions I tackle as the blog evolves. Thanks for the ideas.

Jaya

Re: Your writing

Post by Jaya » December 5th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Thanks. I've just always been a little curious about your own writing habits and experiences.