Question about a zombie novel i've self-published?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
mrwriterman

Question about a zombie novel i've self-published?

Post by mrwriterman » November 23rd, 2010, 10:58 pm

Hi, Nathan, You don't know me, but I saw your name as I was browsing the internet. My name's Lee Taylor, and I am the author of a zombie/action, horror novel titled - M.D-Morgue of the Dead - I self published it this year after receiving good feedback from writers websites and horror fans, but I seriously have no idea how to market it or get attention from the right people.
I have a website in progress if you want to look at it - www.morgueofthedead.webs.com
On there is the first 10 chapters of this novel and a draft 3 chapters of my latest novel - BEDBUGS (Can you see them?)
I am on page 110 on that story...
My zombie story is picking up a lot of interest in America, with a representative over there wanting to shoot a movie version early next year, but here in the UK I am struggling to get it noticed. It's very frustrating for me as I want to just write, not promote, but the promoting takes up a lot of my writing time, and so I am looking for an agent who may want to represent me in expanding the interest for my novel. If not this one, then maybe the BEDBUGS one.
I have a facebook fan page where I am receiving positive feedback from recent readers of my zombie novel, and American zombie author - Cal Miller - who wrote - Het Madden ( A zombie perspective), has read my novel and says it's better than his, but his is selling well...
My novel is for sale on Amazon Worldwide, Barnes & Noble, and many more online bookstores, plus, it's available from 'Smashwords' and 'The seashell books' in digital download...But i really could do with the shops stocking it...
If you may be interested in helping me find a more suitable publisher, or you know of another agency who may be keen, then please write to me on - lee.taylor347@ntlworld.com
Thank you for reading this,
Lee Taylor

Nathan Bransford

Re: Question about a zombie novel i've self-published?

Post by Nathan Bransford » November 25th, 2010, 11:34 am

Hi, and congratulations on the interest. Since I announced I'm no longer agenting (which just autocorrected to avenging, ha) I've received many many requests to help people find and agent and/or publisher, and I'm afraid that's just not something I'm really equipped to do.

mrwriterman

Post by mrwriterman » November 25th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Hi, Nathan, Thanks for the reply. Like I said, any help is good help. If you know of anyone who's keen to look at a zombie style horror novel then let me know. I know it will do well because the Americans are all talking about it, but as i'm a novice, I really don't know who to trust and who's good or bad, so an agent is what i really need right now.
Thanks for getting back to me,
Lee

Jessica Peter

Post by Jessica Peter » November 26th, 2010, 11:18 pm

Hi mrwriterman. You may want to check out Nathan's posts on How a Book Gets Published (http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/08 ... ished.html) and How to Find a Literary Agent (http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2008/04 ... agent.html), if it looks like that's your next step. I would also recommend browsing on www.AgentQuery.com for your genre to see who is representing it and is open to queries, but make sure to follow the guidelines on the agent's own website. However, if you are seeking representation for a novel that is ALREADY self-published, you will probably run into trouble. You may need to start fresh with something different (and I know that's not an easy thing).
http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/JessicaPeter1
Currently querying HUNT, YA Urban Fantasy & writing a post-apocalyptic romance

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » November 29th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Nathan Bransford, Literary Avenger!? I like it!

Welcome to the Forums, Lee! I second Jessica Peter's excellent advice and links. You will also find a great deal of useful info on the Forums, on the Absolute Write website, and generally online.

Quantity of info is not the challenge. Quality is. Search, compare and contrast. Sift and get second (or more!) opinions. Ironically, in such sifting you are doing what readers, and sometimes agents and publishers, do to find entertaining books and writers.