Do dragons and magic always = fantasy?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Anobile1

Do dragons and magic always = fantasy?

Post by Anobile1 » October 28th, 2010, 1:14 am

My question is basically what's in the title: if a novel has dragons and/or something resembling magic, does it have to be classified as fantasy? In my case, my novel takes place on Earth and the dragons are created with genetic engineering. The magic has a somewhat scientific explanation and most of the time isn't called magic. It doesn't take place in a city, so it's not urban fantasy. It's also more character-driven than plot-driven. I'm thinking it's more mainstream or commercial fiction than anything else, so I'm wondering if I'm stuck calling it fantasy just because it has dragons and magic. Maybe I'm just overthinking the genre. >_>
My Blog: http://amorenanobile.blogspot.com/ (Most recent post: Inspiration Patterns and an Old Friend)

Nathan Bransford

Re: Do dragons and magic always = fantasy?

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 28th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Dragons and magic do usually equal fantasy, even if the magic and dragons are grounded in science. But really I think it's more about the sensibility of the novel. Does it "feel" more fantasy or feel more science fiction?

Anobile1

Post by Anobile1 » October 28th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Thank you for the answer! I thought that was probably true, but unfortunately my novel doesn't feel like science fiction or fantasy. I don't suppose it would be possible to call it Literary or Commercial Science Fantasy?
My Blog: http://amorenanobile.blogspot.com/ (Most recent post: Inspiration Patterns and an Old Friend)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 29th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Anobile1 wrote:Thank you for the answer! I thought that was probably true, but unfortunately my novel doesn't feel like science fiction or fantasy. I don't suppose it would be possible to call it Literary or Commercial Science Fantasy?
Don't overthink genre - the most important thing is what section of the bookstore it's going in, and it can't go in Commercial Science Fantasy. Just go with science fiction or fantasy, or if you must, science fantasy. But even if it has both science fiction and fantasy tropes I'm guessing it leans one or the other, and I'd go with the one it leans most toward.

Anobile1

Post by Anobile1 » October 29th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Alright, thanks again!