How to revised based on rejections?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
kimberleyd2229

How to revised based on rejections?

Post by kimberleyd2229 » October 26th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Hi Nathan!

I recently received some feedback from an agent stating: 'Although your story has merit, there is not enough natural conflict to sustain the complexity of the plot'.

This is my first novel, and I'm afraid that maybe I have 'forced' the conflict. And while I know this is one person's opinion (I've gotten about 13 rejections thus far), my question is, how do you KNOW when you should revise your novel or better yet, rewrite parts of it?

For example, another agent told me that he found it confusing being told in 4 different points of view....however, that is how I like to read books. But, he said if I rewrote it in first person only, one voice, then he would re-read. One of my favorite authors, Jodi Picoult, does this, and it is one of the main reasons I love reading her books. I know this style isn't for everyone.

I just wonder, do I stick with my gut...or start to make revisions based on the agent's feedback I am receiving, that is not a form rejection??

Thank you in advance for your time! Your blog ROCKS!!

kim
Last edited by Nathan Bransford on October 28th, 2010, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: NB: Edited title

Nathan Bransford

Re: Natural Conflict

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 28th, 2010, 7:54 pm

I'm afraid I can't answer directly except to say that I wouldn't overthink rejection letters, and I don't know that I'd revise based on any one agent's suggestion unless their words really truly resonate with you (and it doesn't sound like that's the case).

More on that here: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/02 ... tters.html