Found old manuscript - Seymour Lawrence was interested

Questions for the resident (former) agent
SusanCross

Found old manuscript - Seymour Lawrence was interested

Post by SusanCross » October 16th, 2010, 5:39 pm

In 1974 I wrote a prose chapbook. I self published it--typed on typewriter drawing line down center of page, put paper in horizontally, typed facing pages, took to a printer, had 500 copies printed, designed a LAME cover printed on card stock, took home boxes from printer, collated, stapled spine and then put 'books' in boutiques and local shops in Coconut Grove, FL, which was very 'artist-friendly'. I priced them at 1.25 and left them on consignment offering the shopkeeper .25 for each copy sold. At the time this went very well.

Then I got a call from a man named Seymour Lawrence. I was very young and didn't know who he was. He was interested in my book. Someone had sent it to him. We talked about terms and he wanted photos of me to go with each story (which was one page long). I would not agree to that and suggested hiring a model. We could not get past that point and that was the end of that. It wasn't long before I saw Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, with Seymour Lawrence's name on the cover. As Sinatra sang, "Regrets? I have a few..." although I think my decision would be the same now. I don't think photos of me would have helped the book.

Now that I've found a copy of the original little book, 35 prose stories I am wondering if I should do a little revamping to update certain stories and write more to bring it to book length and attempt to sell it, or possibly e-publish it.

When I Googled Seymour Lawrence I see that he was with Delacorte Press and now that company appears to be YA. I don't know if that was always the case. A couple of my stories are a little racy and sexually graphic.

Does this sound like a project that is worth pursuing? I wouldn't dare to compare it to Shel Silverstein (I KNEW SILVERSTEIN AND I'M NO SHEL SILVERSTEIN!, forgive the paraphrasing). The stories are a little like his poetry or that's as close as I can come to describing them although I am not well read in the genre.

My thoughts were yesterday were, Oh my God, Seymour Lawrence was interested in my work! Maybe I should take my writing more seriously; what have I been doing all these years? Of course, the answer is raising children, working a corporate job and writing for magazines. I'm at a stage in my life when I have time to get serious. Have I missed the boat? Your thoughts?

Susan Cross Writes LLC

Nathan Bransford

Re: Found old manuscript - Seymour Lawrence was interested

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 21st, 2010, 9:27 pm

I think you might consider self-publishing this.

SusanCross

Re: Found old manuscript - Seymour Lawrence was interested

Post by SusanCross » October 21st, 2010, 9:44 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Nathan. I have given it more thought since I emailed you and am not sure the world needs another one of these books. It is not profound by any stretch and I don't have a big enough ego.

After talking to another self-published author (prose/poetry) I realize that the memoir of Leroy Cooper is a more important work since it's non-fiction and contributes something to students of 'black music history' as well as some insight into the civil rights changes as seen through this black musician's (Ray Charles bandleader) eyes. His words are much more profound than mine. Although there is a small niche market for his memoir, several colleges expressed an interest in owning a copy. I would probably lose money with this venture but it would be more meaningful since Cooper has passed away and I was the only one who has the recordings. What a burden!

Thanks again.