Copyright issue

Questions for the resident (former) agent
rldeeter

Copyright issue

Post by rldeeter » April 4th, 2016, 3:56 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have a situation I need advice on. I've been working as a ghost writer for the past two years and my books have done really well. The only agreements between me and my ex-employer are the copyright agreements for each book. There is no other contract between us. Things went horribly south between us last weekend and he tried to defame me and it was just a horrible situation. My readers stuck by me, though. Anyway, he did this in the middle of a very popular series and my fans are going crazy for the series to be finished. We only had a copyright for each book, but it didn't state anything about derivative works. I created everything; characters, settings, events, etc. He did NONE of the creative part, only the marketing. My question is whether or not I can continue the series under my own name. My readers have known that I'm the real author of the books and that I was just writing under that pen name. My ex-boss had given me express permission to reveal my true identity and it was very well received. So it isn't like I deceived anyone or did it without his authority. So I want to complete the series, but I don't want to have him come after me. Do I have a leg to stand on or should I just forget it?

Nathan Bransford

Re: Copyright issue

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 30th, 2017, 8:50 am

I'd consult a publishing attorney for situations like these.