How to write a Query letter for an agent

Questions for the resident (former) agent
NightPillow

How to write a Query letter for an agent

Post by NightPillow » March 23rd, 2022, 1:58 am

I didn't see the answer in the video so I hope this is in the correct forum. My question is a 3 part. In your video, “How to write a query letter,” with respect to genre and word count, you said to shoot for the section of the book store where it would be placed. My first fiction book – 1 of 15 – does share many elements, bears a word count under 22,000 and my target demographic ranges from 6-12 with 9/10 being the primary focus.

My issue is that I lack the word count to be fantasy, my primary protagonist is made up of inanimate objects and without making it complex or boring I did my best to explain within the chapter; so it will require illustrations to compensate for what the imagination can not produce. The context of the story can easily be told in a graphic novel format which currently is a lot of words for that category or simply with an image of an event at the beginning of each chapter for some guidance and have the words tell the rest. I was going to lean towards an agent's advice once we cross that bridge.

Originally, I envisioned this to be animated but as the idea continued to grow, the vision evolved from what I initially intended to a fully fleshed out book series. Lastly, my primary character's full arc plays out over the course of the series because as the secondary characters emerge and they assemble as a team, their challenges as a team will lead him to complete his growth.

My questions:
1) What should I consider the proper genre because I would consider it to be children's fantasy, possibly pre-middle school?
2) The query submission requirements are pretty specific so with what was mentioned, how do I go about submitting illustrations while respecting what their procedures are?
3) How do I inform the agent that the characters, “Hero’s Journey,” (Joseph Campbell) is to be covered over the course of 15 books?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions.
NP

lundam

Re: How to write a Query letter for an agent

Post by lundam » December 18th, 2023, 10:13 pm

NightPillow wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 1:58 am I didn't see the answer in the video so I hope this is in the correct forum. My question is a 3 part. In your video, “How to write a query letter,” with respect to genre and word count, you said to geometry dash full version shoot for the section of the book store where it would be placed. My first fiction book – 1 of 15 – does share many elements, bears a word count under 22,000 and my target demographic ranges from 6-12 with 9/10 being the primary focus.

My issue is that I lack the word count to be fantasy, my primary protagonist is made up of inanimate objects and without making it complex or boring I did my best to explain within the chapter; so it will require illustrations to compensate for what the imagination can not produce. The context of the story can easily be told in a graphic novel format which currently is a lot of words for that category or simply with an image of an event at the beginning of each chapter for some guidance and have the words tell the rest. I was going to lean towards an agent's advice once we cross that bridge.

Originally, I envisioned this to be animated but as the idea continued to grow, the vision evolved from what I initially intended to a fully fleshed out book series. Lastly, my primary geometry dash character's full arc plays out over the course of the series because as the secondary characters emerge and they assemble as a team, their challenges as a team will lead him to complete his growth.

My questions:
1) What should I consider the proper genre because I would consider it to be children's fantasy, possibly pre-middle school?
2) The query submission requirements are pretty specific so with what was mentioned, how do I go about submitting illustrations while respecting what their procedures are?
3) How do I inform the agent that the characters, “Hero’s Journey,” (Joseph Campbell) is to be covered over the course of 15 books?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions.
NP
I understand your concerns and I'm happy to help with your query. Here's my take on your questions:

1. Genre:

Defining the exact genre could be tricky given the unique aspects of your book. While it has elements of children's fantasy, the inanimate protagonist and short word count make it harder to categorize. Here are some options:

Middle-grade fantasy: This might be the closest if you can maintain a level of complexity suitable for older children.
Chapter book fantasy: This could work if you simplify the story and themes for younger readers.
Picture book crossover: Consider this if you significantly increase the illustrations and focus on shorter, self-contained chapters.
Ultimately, it's important to accurately represent your book's tone and target audience in your query letter, regardless of the chosen genre label.

2. Submitting Illustrations:

Most agents don't accept illustrations with query submissions. However, you can mention the importance of visuals in your letter without sending samples directly. Here are some tips:

Briefly explain why illustrations are crucial to the story: "My imaginative concept of an inanimate protagonist relies heavily on illustrations to fully come to life."
Mention any artistic collaboration plans you have: "I'm currently in touch with [artist's name] who shares my vision and is interested in illustrating the series."
Offer to share sample illustrations upon request: "I'm happy to provide sample artwork upon further interest."
Remember, agents are primarily interested in the writing itself. Focus on capturing their attention with a strong story and character premise, then highlight the importance of visuals later in the communication process.

3. Hero's Journey and Series Plan:

It's generally not advisable to reveal a 15-book series plan in the initial query. Agents prefer to focus on the first book's potential and avoid being overwhelmed by long-term plans. Here are some ways to handle this:

Mention the series potential with caution: "This first book lays the foundation for a potential multi-book adventure."
Emphasize the self-contained nature of the first book: "While this story stands alone, it leaves room for further adventures..."
Focus on the protagonist's arc within the first book: "Over the course of this initial journey, your hero [briefly summarize their growth]."
If the agent expresses interest and asks about future plans, you can then elaborate on the broader series arc and Hero's Journey framework.

Ultimately, remember to prioritize the first book's strength and intrigue in your query letter. Leave longer-term plans for later discussions if an agent shows interest.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your submission and remember, a unique concept like yours can be highly appealing to the right agent.