Do literary agents keep track of rejected queries?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
gnb679

Do literary agents keep track of rejected queries?

Post by gnb679 » March 24th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Hi Nathan - Just something I've been curious about ... do literary agents save query letters that they reject, or do they usually and generally delete them after rejecting? Do literary agencies ever archive or keep track of queries that have been rejected?

Nathan Bransford

Re: Do literary agents keep track of rejected queries?

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 25th, 2014, 9:14 pm

gnb679 wrote:Hi Nathan - Just something I've been curious about ... do literary agents save query letters that they reject, or do they usually and generally delete them after rejecting? Do literary agencies ever archive or keep track of queries that have been rejected?
I think it probably varies from agent to agent - I definitely saved mind so I could check back.

BuildingVoices

Post by BuildingVoices » May 6th, 2014, 4:22 pm

I would think it depended on how large the agency was. Right? What if you waited at least a year or so to send them another query, would that be ok?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 25th, 2014, 12:03 pm

BuildingVoices wrote:I would think it depended on how large the agency was. Right? What if you waited at least a year or so to send them another query, would that be ok?
No, I wouldn't try to pull a fast one. I always remembered when a query sounded familiar and I didn't think highly of getting the same one multiple times. It's hard enough to read all the queries that come in once.