Book or Series?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
K.G Berlin

Book or Series?

Post by K.G Berlin » March 9th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Dear Nathan,

Welcome to your forum. My question is when, or can a book ever be called a series?

My manuscript is away for a copy edit so I’ve little to do except open the curtains for the first time in two years and see that nothing’s changed outside in chilly England.

The idea that started me writing centred around Carl Sagan’s wish that ‘someone out there’ would play the gold record fixed to the NASA Voyager 1 space probe. It must be remembered that Carl Sagan was a nice well-educated middle-class academic who agonised over putting Holst or Bethoven’s 11th sympathy in 3 miners on the disc. Since blast off the world has been treated to Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Irish Pickers, Gumball, Fargo and Alligator Swamp Mountain People. All of which we devour in the UK. I took the view that if the gold record was a hoarders garage then the pickers that went through it would only interested in a thimble as they’d heard it all before.

I had to come up with a back story to project it on. The best I could manage was that America has imploded and the survivors have made their was through Alaska, dodging those ruthless Canadian partisans, to the Bering Strait and over to Russia. Russia is the world’s only functioning country and has agreed to shelter the Americans on the understanding that they work their menial jobs for coupons and shelter. Bear in mind that I’m a Brit and all this is just history to me. The American’s are forbidden from owning mobile phones, computers and playing golf. American President Eaglemoor is a Moscow Metro motorman. Secretary of State Northwoods is a trolleybus engineer. The American’s have managed to retain their black-market dental industry.

The Russian’s allow a Russo-American expedition to go to England, the old, old country via New York where they sail the Staten Island ferry across the Atlantic and so forth etc.

Could I market the book as a series? Thank you in advance for any input.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Book or Series?

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 16th, 2021, 11:02 am

I'm not totally sure I understand the question, but a series becomes a series when the second book in a multi-book storyline is published. Here's a post on everything authors need to know about series: https://nathanbransford.com/blog/2020/0 ... ook-series