Short story publishing?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
ryanznock

Short story publishing?

Post by ryanznock » March 1st, 2010, 2:16 pm

I've got a small collection of short stories that I think are decent, but I've never tried to get them published. For the past year I've devoted all my writing research toward getting a novel published, so I don't really know where to start when it comes to short fiction. Me personally, I could use help with sci-fi/fantasy and southern literary venues, but I welcome any advice. Other writers I'm sure would also be interested.

First off, should you bother getting an agent for short fiction?

polymath

Re: Short story publishing?

Post by polymath » March 1st, 2010, 2:33 pm

Agents have little interest in marketing short fiction. There's not much money in it and digest markets deal directly with writers anyway. A reason why agents do sometimes have interest in short fiction is publishing short fiction keeps a name-brand author in the limelight between novels, which is a good reason for novel writers too.

Duotrope.com tracks short story markets and indexes them according to genre, length, pay, and markets. Each entry has useful information about the market and links to markets' pages. Once at a digest page, navigating to their submission guidelines is by a link titled submission guidelines or in many cases a contacts page, or in some cases buried somewhere in the maze of the site.

http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx
Spread the love of written word.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » March 1st, 2010, 2:39 pm

I'll echo polymath's endorsement of duotrope. It can be a little tedious sorting through things without a high-speed internet connection, so I would recommend a very tight search to start with and then expand from that if you don't find something promising.

ryanznock

Post by ryanznock » March 1st, 2010, 5:16 pm

Ah, cool. I'd never heard of Duotrope, but it's already giving me a wealth of options to pursue. It's dang handy.

Many thanks.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » March 2nd, 2010, 4:35 pm

I know a couple of literary writers who signed with an agent based on their short stories. The agents signed with them because their short stories were so good, then advised them to work on a novel to submit to publishers along with their book of short stories.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.