Speed reading and writing

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
brian_crawford

Speed reading and writing

Post by brian_crawford » February 22nd, 2010, 2:40 pm

With all our research, workshop critiques, homework assignments, books about writing, blogs, tweets, emails and pesky day jobs, it’s no wonder we can’t make time to write our own stuff.

How do you manage the overwhelming amount of information we’re expected to process on a daily basis?

How do you write effective posts and respond to comments in mere seconds without sounding like an idiot?

Have you found any speed reading or time management techniques that actually work?

I’d love to see Nathan weigh in on this, as he appears to be a speed-reading-writing-uber-ninja.

dementedtinkerbell

Re: Speed reading and writing

Post by dementedtinkerbell » February 22nd, 2010, 6:09 pm

When it comes to comments and blog posts, there are times I do end up looking like an idiot but that's okay because I know that I can be forgiven if I write something brilliant the next time.

As for speed reading, my technique? It was having kids and being at university at the same time. I had very little time to myself in which I could process new information so I had to learn how to grasp the meaning of whole paragraphs with just a few seconds reading as fast as possible. It's a hard way to do it but I managed it, which means I can run through a 400 and something page book in just under 3 hours. My record is a 1200 page book in a day, so far.

If you find a solution to the comment thing, I'd be grateful if you could post it because I haven't found it yet!
Me to my girl: You're grounded until you're dead
Her: You mean 'til you're dead right?
Me: No, I'll enforce it from beyond the grave
Her: *gulp*

brian_crawford

Post by brian_crawford » February 23rd, 2010, 3:39 pm

One tool that may help with the speed-writing part: I just bought some voice recognition software. I’ve heard that some authors use this almost exclusively to type their manuscripts.

It takes some getting used to. When I first tried it, my writing looked like email-spam from the deposed prince of Nigeria. But the program learns quickly, and I can see how it could save time – especially if you like to write things out first in longhand.

shadow

Post by shadow » February 23rd, 2010, 3:43 pm

I speed read allot unless I am reading fiction, when I really have to engross myself in the events. Don't you wish we could speed write?
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage